We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC in January

Gwynedd
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC in January

Is January a good time to visit NYC? Thinking of going on the 6th for 5 days. Any ideas on prices of flight and hotels at that time.

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: NYC in January

We went in Jan 2010, the dates you mentioned in your first post. It was cold, but not unbearably so. I wore a good north face jacket with fleece, long boots and a hat and never really felt the cold. It's a good excuse to stop for a coffee and people watch :) Having never been at other times I have nothing to compare in regards to crowds, but given the ropes lined out in places such as Rockefeller, I assume lines get very long, we went straight up to the 'top of the rock' one night, no queues and very few people up there either.

Overall think I'd prefer it to summer, I hate city breaks in blazing heat, were planning our next break for December.

ETA, Can't remember exactly, but think me and my boyfriend paid £1600 total, for flights from Manchester, a 4* hotel and theatre tickets to see Wicked and Lion King. Think a lot of the hotels do deals on room at that time

Edited: 19 August 2012, 19:16
New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: NYC in January

As stated above, you cannot predict the weather. It could be absolutely frigid, just a bit chilly, sunny, or with one meter of snow on the ground.

But let's say you do get that really awful blizzard-like weather ... bundle up, and head into a cafe for a hot chocolate, picking a seat near a window so you can see the white patterns swirl outside. Head into Central Park and have a snowball fight (while appreciating the beauty of the park in the dead of winter ... it really is something different, even without leaves and flowers). Watch this incredibly busy city sloooooow down briefly. Look at the lights reflecting off the snow on the ground.

Note that when the weather is truly at its worst, shops, subways, etc. may shut down for up to a day. But rarely longer than that. Use that day to wander (bundled up, obviously, and keeping yourself very aware of your personal cold weather limits).

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: NYC in January

The sun *is*gone by midafternoon in January - that is another reason I don't like January. My goal for a long / holiday weekend in January is the southern hemisphere - Buenos Aires.

January is fine for shopping and you might get some pretty pictures of the city with some snow (although I'll be very happy if we don't get any snow) but the main draw is the lower prices on hotels and the ease of getting into restaurants.

January is a slow month in NYC.

Level Contributor
162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: NYC in January

You've got to be somewhere in January. Why not NYC? Prepare for cold and wet. If you're lucky, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
139 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: NYC in January

Any month is great in new York, if your planning to come the 6th , chances are we will have a mild winter again, layer anyway ... Everything is on sale ! New York has the best shopping on all levels .... No crowds or lines ..... Easier to get theatre tickets ...... Yeah January is fine !,

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: NYC in January

I have been to NY twice in Jan, first year was fine, cold but we were able to walk around no problems. The second year we arrived the day after a massive snow storm. Even rugged up I was cold!! We did get 'out and about' but I didn't walk anywhere near as much as I had the year before.

Still it's cheap and give me the choice of going and it being cold or not going - I'm going!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: NYC in January

High temperatures and massive crowds are always a turn-off, so this January will be perfect for me. Being a 'snow lover' I'm praying for a good covering for when I'm wandering around Central Park with woolly hat and mittens :^)

Gwynedd
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: NYC in January

Diolch am y neges! Gobeithio do o hyd i flight rhad yn Mis Ionawr!

Gwynedd
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: NYC in January

Thanks. We did survive the hurricane last summer and th total sut down of NYC. I'm sure we could cope with snow!

20. Re: NYC in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 07:15