We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

teesside
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Hi does any recommend somewhere I can get a manicure and pedicure in midtown - am stayin nr 47th street. Ideally I want somewhere I can just go into without prior booking plz. Thanx :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Depending where you are on 47th St, there is a place on West 46th St, a few buildings down from 7th Ave. Ground floor level. Would I recommmend it? Well, don't know what kind of place your are used to. It's your usual basic place, not fancy, don't need to book, you just might have to wait a few minutes. Have been there a couple of times, found it fine and didn't get any fungal type growths! I think there is another place upstairs just across the street that I've been in too. There are nail places all over the place all around Manhattan, so you will see planty more.

Ireland
Level Contributor
925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Should have said that that is 46th between 7th and 6th.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Several places on 55th st between 5 and 6. I think the one I used to go to is "Salon Today" (closer to 6th on S side of street).

teesside
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Hiya thanx for replies- don't want anywhere fancy- a basic place whilst on holiday will suffice. I'm staying at the Edison hotel so just wanted somewhere local to that. Do you know how much to tip manicurists plz- it's not in my guidebook. I was thinking 15-20%??

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

i have to say - i was tempted by one of the basic places, by the low price. sadly, five years on, i am still regretting it. i DID pick up one of those 'fungal type growths' referred to above. the place was on 9th, around 50th.

pam

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Yes - I usually tip 20% for mani/pedis.

enjoy your visit!

teesside
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Thanx for replies- in light of potential fungal infections do you think I would be better looking for a hotel salon that offers them instead? I've never had problem in uk regardless of where I've had them at. Slightly worried now! :/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,025 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

I use Bloomies nails on 55th between 5th & 6th, same street as Salon Today mentioned by karenjme above. As I've said before, it's one downside is they do try to upsell you for more expensive spa pedicures etc. I just say, sorry, don't have time today. Just a regular man and ped., thanks.; ) They're fast, I think good and open long hours.

nymag.com/listings/beauty/bloomie_nails03/

You can map the hotel on

maps.google.com

and then click 'search nearby' and type in nail salons which often have linked reviews. I'd get out of Times Square.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

I second the recommendation for Bloomie Nail on 55th Street near 6th Avenue. I went there weekly for about 2 years and they did a great job at a good price.

It's not just Bloomie - MANY of the nail salons try to upsell you. As Whiz says, you just tell them "no thanks, just a regular mani-pedi".

teesside
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to have manicure/ pedicure- midtown- without booking

Thank you for suggestions- bloomie salon now firmly on my list! A normal mani/ pedi will do as I'm on holiday and will need interim 1 till I get home to my usual place. :)