We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car service hierarchies

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Car service hierarchies

A few years ago we booked the lowest level Carmel vans and thought both ways were awful - shabby minivans, bad drivers (weaving, clueless, non-English speakers).

Next time we booked Dial 7, and booked one level up (not their basic, the next one up). While unfair to compare to Carmel basic, it was better - black sedan, slightly better driver. Maybe Carmel's one step up would have been the same, I don't know.

My question is...what level do you all book with a service like Dial 7 - their rock-bottom basic, or do you go further up the food chain?

Has anyone booked the NEXT level up?

Trying to find the sweet spot of quality and value.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car service hierarchies

Ive also booked the basic one and have been very happy with that

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car service hierarchies

Thanks, LMV. Have you ever used Carmel, just as a comparison?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car service hierarchies

I booked basic dial 7 from Newark and was not happy with car, driver, etc.

Personally I would take the train next time.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car service hierarchies

No, not used Carmel as been happy with dial7

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car service hierarchies

We have also been VERY satisfied with Dial 7. Sorry can't compare it with your other choice--will use Dial 7 on our next trip also.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car service hierarchies

We've been satisfied with both Carmel and Dial7. We've always booked a basic package and gotten a Lincoln Town Car. The drivers had accents, but we could understyand them.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car service hierarchies

I used to live in Queens NY (about midway between LGA and JFK).

I ALWAYS used Dial7 (the lowest level Sedan) from home to airport. THe cost was nearly double what a "cheap" car service or taxi might have been, but I never had a real problem with them.

Also never had problem understanding driver. And they all have GPS in their car.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car service hierarchies

I use the basic sedan (cheapest option) from both Carmel and Dial 7 fairly regularly, both for airport transport and for trips within NYC. 95% of the time the driver is fine and 5% of the time he's scary and I fear for my life. Also, not having a clue where you are or where you're going and being a slave to GPS in NYC doesn't often seem to work out - I've seen them take some crazy routes, not to mention miss the target. Some people on this forum are very pro-Dial 7 and anti-Carmel, but I had a terrible Dial 7 experience just last month. In my experience it's a roll of the dice with either. :(

Edited: 20 August 2012, 15:15
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car service hierarchies

I dont think a 95% versus 5% can be considered a bad percentage at all.

If I had any issue with a dial7 journey I would certainly complain especially if the driver was "scary and I feared for my life".

Im not anti carmel at all - just never used them!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car service hierarchies

I wasn't targeting you, LMV - I just remember another thread some weeks ago when many people were strongly anti-Carmel and I was really surprised because I find the two to be very much on par. I also think 95% is a good percentage - if I regularly felt my life was in danger, I wouldn't be using these car services...there are more expensive options, and I would be willing to pay for the safety! :)

(PS - when I do occasionally get a bad driver, you can be sure that I call dispatch and squeal!)

Edited: 20 August 2012, 15:25