We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Ground Zero

BALLWIN
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Ground Zero

Myself and 9 others will be arriving at JFK with approximately a 7 hour layover. We would all like to go to Ground Zero. I am looking for some transportation that would take u s there and then pick us back up at an appropriate time and take us back to JFK. We also would like to be able to leave our carry on bag in the vehicle. We donot need a tour, just transportation.

Does any one have any ideas or companys to recommend?

Thank you!

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
1. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 August 2012, 04:09
East Coast
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

no

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

I suppose that you can get a cab, have the driver wait and then head back to the airport, but doubt whether it would be worth the angst about making your transfer and worrying about NYC traffic.

BTW - most New Yorkers HATE the term Ground Zero. It is simply no longer appropriate. Please use the World Trade Center instead.

BALLWIN
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

Thank you for the informing me of the proper usage of titles. I appreciate it!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

Realistically, I don't think you can do what you have in mind. There are options for luggage storage at JFK and that's what you should do if you can't either check your baggage through to your final destination or re-check it for the leg of your trip leaving from JFK.

Once you've done that you've got all the usual mass transit options to the World Trade Center. The most straightforward would be to take the AirTrain to Howard Beach and then the A train to Chambers Street.

BALLWIN
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

Thank you...Do you have any approximate idea of the time it would take when using AirTran to A train to Chambers Street?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

I believe the name is National Sept. 11 Memorial.

Be aware that you have to get (free) visitors passes

http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes

And they don't allow baggage at least not over a certain size, so getting your luggage squared away per previous poster's suggestion is important.

IMHO the Memorial is a brilliant tribute. I admire your decision to use your layover time to pay your respects.

BALLWIN
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

Thank you for the tip abt visitor passes...

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

The thing to do is to leave your luggage at the airport. New York City is very congested so you have to expect to spend far more time in traffic than if you used public transport. You can't even stop to let passengers out of a car all that close to the World Trade Center site. Then the driver will not be able to just hang out nearby. In St. Louis there are parking lots and stuff nearby - not in Lower Manhattan.

So, either check the luggage with the airline or store it at the airport.

The JFK AirTrain comes around every 2 - 5 minutes. It really doesn't matter if you take the Jamaica branch or the Howard Beach branch. The only thing you don't want is the inter-terminal one as it just goes around in circles. It is all clearly marked - digital signs and clear / audible announcements.

The JFK AirTrain is $5.00 per person each way.

The subway is $2.25 per person for each ride.

If you end up on the Jamaica train, simply transfer to the World Trade Center bound E train when the JFK AirTrain terminates at Jamaica. The E train goes right to World Trade Center and ends there. It may take a couple minutes more than the Jamaica route but at least you don't have to worry about missing your stop (the E terminates at World Trade Center).

If you get the Jamaica train, simply transfer to the Manhattan bound A train in the direction of 207th Street but be sure to get off the train at Chambers Street and exit toward the back of the train for the World Trade Center. You can also get off at the previous stop (Fulton Street) and exit toward the front of the train for the World Trade Center.

The JFK AirTrain is a 7 - 9 minute trip. The E train is in the ballpark of 50 - 55 minutes from Jamaica. The A train is in the ballpark of 45 minutes or so from Howard Beach.

Going back to JFK Airport, remember two things. If you're going back on the A train, make sure you get either a Rockaway Park or Far Rockaway bound A train (do not get a Lefferts Blvd bound A train). If you're going back on the E train, make sure you get off at Sutphin / Archer - LIRR / JFK AirTrain. Lots of people commonly think that because it is a Jamaica Center bound E train, the AirTrain must be at Jamaica Center. No, Jamaica Center is one station past the JFK AirTrain at Sutphin / Archer - LIRR / JFK AirTrain.

It is all very well-marked, user-friendly, safe and easy to navigate.

Mentioned in this post
Lower Manhattan
Lower Manhattan
973 Reviews
New York City, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
BALLWIN
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Ground Zero

Thank you so much!!!! I may have another question, once I digest all of this good information..