We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Subway "colors"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
NYC Subway "colors"

I have often said that NYC subways were originally designed as 3 separate systems (IND, IRT, BMT) and therefore when "joined" do not exactly make "sense", but you develop a way to work it out. But, its not by "color", like systems in other cities that are designed as a whole. So here is NYTimes view, from today's paper:

ttp://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/nyregion/faulty-subway-sign-mixes-up-colors-for-b-and-c-lines.html

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

When I lived in Boston, we had the Green, Orange, Blue and Red lines. In NYC, it is simply not like that. The colors have little to do with where the trains go, and the determinative factor is just the number or letter within the circle. But that said, most New Yorkers are indeed familiar with the colors as well. The yellow of the R train. The blue of the A train. The gray of the L. etc. In fact, the new Second Avenue Subway will get a teal color - if it ever does open.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

"Because the signs directly above the tracks had the correct colors, confusion, let alone chaos, was not readily apparent."

They the New York Times when looking for a story and found none. They found no chaos or confusion, trains still moving and people still getting to work on time.

Makes you wonder with all the problems in the world and in New York City, they sent a reporter and photographer finding that the MTA color code "a" sign. Not "suubway signs" but a "subway sign"!

I love reading the New York Times and stupid stuff like this from a world class newspaper just shakes my head. Leave those stories to the New York Post!

Mentioned in this post
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
842 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

**By contrast, Dara Sheik, 35, an accountant, seemed unfazed when told of the miscolored sign.

“I don’t see the colors,” he said, giving a reporter a blank look.

Was he colorblind?

No, he said, he just paid no attention to them.

“I don’t know why the colors matter,” he said, shrugging. “If I need the B, I take the B. If I need the C, I take the C.” **

See, this is the type of logic thinking you need to apply when using the subway!!

At the end of the day, that "mistake" didn't really matter as people go by the numbers/letters (for the most part) - I just don't see the colours anymore.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 13:31
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
842 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

*logical

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

This is one of those things that would have hit me two hours later. "Wait... was that B blue..."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

I have lived in NYC all my 60+ years. I have NO idea what color any line is and it means nothing to me. I don't need it to find my way and besides, as I said, NYC subways don't make "sense", you just "know" it.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: NYC Subway "colors"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 06:16