We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Line

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
High Line

Here's one local perspective on the highline that might be of interest to NYers and visitors: an interesting article from the NYT that bemoans the neighborhood transformations wrought by the High Line and it's incredible popularity. We New Yorkers want to share our cool city with tourists but it would be a shame if the High Line really turns into Times Square!

nytimes.com/2012/…

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Line

My thoughts almost exactly. I rated it a 3 out of 5. The whole idea and function of the park is quite dreamy but it smelt of "big tourist attraction" almost from the get-go.

I always imagine a park a tranquil place to sit and rest on a bench under a tree. This place was an over-packed, camera-flashing walkway despite it's good looks and grooming. Nowhere to hide in the bushes as far as I could tell.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Line

The cool thing about the High Line is that it's NOT the park that people imagined it and there isn't anything wrong with that. Yes, it does get a little crowded on beautiful days but it's New York City.

The High Line would never turn into Times Square and implying that tourist should lay off is ridiculous. This article reeks of over exaggeration, "limited number of benches" and "gotten close to a panic attack, stuck in a pool of stagnant tourists at the park’s most congested points." This article is primary about the change Chelsea is going through, which would still be happening if The High Line was built or not.

Lastly, this isn't the first time Jeremiah Moss' belittling of The High Line and any tourist who ventures below midtown has been discussed.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5459139…

Edited: 22 August 2012, 09:26
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Line

it was almost deserted when i went. i loved it. but generally, i feel no requirement to hide behind a bush...my mother always told me to 'go' before you go out.

pam

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Line

The High Line is so incredibly wonderful. Yes, it gets kind of crowded sometimes but so do the subways and so does Central Park and do the area beaches in the summer - doesn't mean I'm going to sit at home and not go outside. I'm not going to tell visitors they shouldn't ride the subways or shouldn't go to the beach because they're getting kind of busy and we don't want things to get too crowded.

Everybody should go to The High Line and enjoy it - it really is a treasure.

Israel
Level Contributor
471 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Line

The High Line was one of the highlights of my stay in NY last week. It's great for getting a feel of what this area used to be like. The urban landscapes and people watching are fascinating. Go!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High Line

But the last lines in the paragraph sum it up for me!

"But the new locals will rarely be found at street level, where chain stores and tourist-friendly restaurants will cater to the crowds of passers-by and passers-through. Gone entirely will be regular New Yorkers, the people who used to call the neighborhood home. But then the High Line was never really about them."

Yes the Highline was never for New Yorkers or even try to be for the people, the real New Yorkers that live/work in the area. It was for the tourists. Tourists that act like a dog in heat to visit this tourist spot. As if visiting the Highline is a must New York City see, a pilgrimage to a holy shrine. They have to get the photograph of themselves at the Highline, like they have to get a photograph of themselves someone wearing a mouse outfit or underwear to believe their lives is now important.

I always get a laugh of the TA Reports about the Highline as their recommendations are:

Go for people watching!

You are watching tourists at the Highline and it nothing different from those tourists at Times Square. You want to see people, New Yorkers, then look at the streets walking pass the Highline.

Go the see urban renewing!

What do you think urban renewal started with the Highline? This city has been doing urban renewal all over the city and when I say the city I am talking about the five boroughs. Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx (The Bronx), Staten Island and Manhattan for decades have been doing urban renewal. Paris (France) had one of its rail lines made it into a park long before the Highline was started.

The Highline is an example of the wrong type of urban renewal as it brought pain and suffering to the people that live there and have made “local” business relocate. Local business is what keeps this city going, not tourism.

Incredible views!

You are 20 feet above a street and that is incredible? Buy a 20 feet ladder when you get home and enjoy that credible view when you a standing on a ladder.

See beautiful flowers!

We have to major world class botanical gardens to see flowers, there is nothing special there. You want to see something special, go to botanical gardens.

“this isn't the first time Jeremiah Moss' belittling of The High Line”

Jeremiah Moss is one of the “local” New Yorkers that maintains a history of the New York City for years. New York City is known as a city that has a history for not respecting/maintaining it's past history. It will tear down anything and replace it with something that commercial that makes money for the city..

But to say ”belittling”, I love when out of towers who think they know the city just show that do not. We complain! There is plenty to complain about. The subway are not that great, try riding them every day. Walking the dirt smelly streets is no fun. There is more traffic from cars and bikes that people like to have! High taxes! The cost of living here is high so high it can crush the working poor and so on.

Thearticle was never intended for tourists, but New Yorkers and not for the “I want to be New Yorkers” crowd. Some New Yorkers love the Highline especially those that make money from it, there a few in numbers compared to the rest of population that live here.

Most New Yorkers have not visited the Highline and when ask if they will, they can find better things to do with their free time.

Keep on writing Jeremiah Moss about the Highline and show City Hall we are not going to roll over for tourism. Tourists that many only come here for a visit once in the lifetime really do not improve the quality of life!

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
800 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Line

One stop I will be making in NYC to see a nice outdoor space and its free. Maybe that is why it is so popular.

NYC Highline has now started Chicago talking about transforming a 3 mile long empty track area. They have already made parks around this line, but are soon to start on the top. Thanks NYC

thehighline.org/news/2012/06/15/high-line-ta…

If we can get tourists to stop touching the silver bean in Chicago I would be happy also. I will try to make my highline walk as quick as possible.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Line

Last week I was walking up the Hudson River from the West Village and totally by chance found myself at the foot of the steps so I figured as long as I was there anyway I'd go up. My impression: An elevated sidewalk with some plants and places to buy food. Not even close to a must-do in my opinion. I walked as far as 23rd St. and I felt like I'd wasted that chunk of my life. To each his own.

Mentioned in this post
West Village
West Village
1,369 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Line

As someone who was born in Manhattan in 1951, I'd like to observe that a city that stops "urban renewal" is a city in decline. Sure, there a problems with greedy developers and gentrification (see "Clyborne Park" for an example.) I remember the tenements from W 97th to W 100th before Park West Village. But even worse tenements were replaced with Frederick Douglass Houses, a clean and orderly public housing project.

I worked at 19th Street and 8th Avenue in 1986-87, and at 34th and 11th from 87-90. So I can confirm that the High Line part of Chelsea was fading low-rise manufacturing. In this case, I think that the replacement of those businesses by art galleries, and the (astonishing) influx of wealthier apartment residents is a net gain. It's the uncompleted subway extension that has held back further growth.

I agree that the loss of low and moderate income residents from Manhattan is a problem in maintaining a diverse and healthy population. But many critics of renewal may have never lived in a 100-year old NY apartment. I've sublet quite a few!

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
267 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Line

I plan to visit the Highline while I'm there, and yes, I'll take photos. I might also look at other people who are there. I will, however, try to refrain from humping any legs like a "tourist dog in heat" would.

I realize it's not going to compare to many other parks in the city, which is why I plan to go. I am fascinated by the topic of urban redevelopment and would like to see it. If anyone wants to send me to Paris all expenses paid to see the urban redevelopment there instead, I'd be happy to oblige. ;)

In all seriousness, though, not all tourists are disrespectful, clueless, or obnoxious.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France