We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
90 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

I need to get from LGA to Rhinelander Ave in the Bronx safely but with the least expense possible. Everyone keeps telling me I need to take a cab because my flight doesnt get in until 11pm and its not safe to take any other route at night since I dont know the area. I'm told the cab will cost me around $50. Is this really my best option?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

At 11 PM from the airport to Morris Park? Yes. You must take a taxi. If you tried to take public transit, you'd hit the witching hour when all the trains go screwy and only locals are comfortable using the system. (Schedules and routes change, it's a mess.) The 5, which is the train you'd take to Morris Park, is often one of the screwier trains past midnight. Save yourself the grief.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

As Mentioned above, at that hour a car service such as Dial 7, may be the best option for getting to the Morris Park Section of the Bronx.

www.dial7.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

I agree with larilu. I wouldn't take a taxi. Likely most cab drivers either don't know their way up there or won't want to go. Take a car service like dial7 or

allstatelimo.com

You'd be much better arriving earlier, but I guess you know that.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
90 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Thanks everyone. I got a good quote from Allstate Limo but when I called they said that didnt include tolls. Is this common with the limo services? I expected to pay tolls with a cab but I assumed limo services it would be a flat rate.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Everybody adds tolls. That's normal.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Ditto. Normal to tack tolls on top. There should only be one toll for the Whitestone (or Throgs Neck) bridge.

http://goo.gl/maps/I0dj6

The price quote also won't include a tip for the driver which is 15-20% of the base fare. Do NOT prepay by credit card. Pay the driver in cash in person. My experience is there's always a screw up and the drivers don't like it.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Another advantage of booking a car service is that you don't care which route the driver takes. It's all the same cost to you. The driver will definitely want to go the quickest way.

You can't avoid a toll bridge to the Bronx. In addition to the two bridges NYWhiz mentioned, the driver might take the RFK (aka Triboro) Bridge. That would be fine as well. They all have the same tolls and the driver should pay it with his EZ-pass, but add the charge onto your fare.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Im from the bronx and that area is just East of the zoo,and still a decent area, for the Bronx--just south of there it gets a little dicey--- i would defintely get a limo and ask the driver to carry your bags into wherever your going--or call the folks your visiting as you approach and see fit they'll meet you outside--itll be late, although at that time of nght it shouldnt be 30 minutes to get there

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

Speaking about the folks you are visiting, how come you asked a random group of strangers here rather than the folks you are visiting.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
90 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Bronx from Airport at night

My friend just moved there two weeks ago herself and doesnt know the area yet. She's doing her post doctorate work at Albert Einstein College and living in their housing. I'm flying up to surprise her for her birthday.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 19:24