We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One question left?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
One question left?

We are all packed and ready. Will arrive Sat.25th.Aug.for a packed itenarary for 6 days. Have all my maps and subways planned.and all the notes I have picked up from reading this forum since Feb. Just one question please.

We are doing the dinner cruise on the Spirit Cruise and know which bus to catch to get to Pier 61, but when the cruise finishes which will be after 10pm. might be a bit late for us to catch the bus, so just wondering if anyone knows if taxis are there waiting when the boat returns? Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One question left?

If you are unable to catch a taxi right outside the complex, you should be able to get one by walking over to 10th or 9th. If you're not too tired, you might also think about going up on the High Line then -- it's open until 11.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One question left?

>> Will arrive Sat.25th.Aug <<

Me too!

>> We are all packed and ready <<

Erm...no. In fact, have not even started packing which is so unlike me.

Have a great trip!

Mez.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One question left?

There may in fact be a bus there as well.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One question left?

I have actually taken a dinner cruise from that area and it was a lot of fun. However, I believe you will be on the other side of the Westside Highway and there is a good chance there won't be cabs over there. But there will be "gypsy cabs". They will be people in town cars and limos that will offer to give you a ride. I'm not sure your comfort level for that type of thing and plenty of people will tell you not to do it (including me, even though I have done it).

So take Crans advice and start walking east to 9th or 10th.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One question left?

theres no problem in taking those private cabs, make a deal about the price before you step in, cheaper then a yellow cab, great fun to use them in Harlem too

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One question left?

I wouldn't get in anything other than. A yellow cab or pre booked car

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One question left?

The M23 bus stops right by Chelsea PIers, and runs about every 10-20 minutes, all day every day. It travels west-east along 23rd St (all the way over to FDR Dr) with stops at each of the north-south subway lines in Manhattan (local service only - C-E, 1, F-M, N-R, and 6). You do not need to cross the West Side Hwy to catch the bus - it literally stops in the park just on the north end of the Chelsea Piers complex.

My wife and I did a sunset cruise a couple of years ago on Classic Harbor Lines, and there was an M23 bus waiting at the stop when we were done. We did not see any cabs (and of course you cannot call one), so the bus worked out perfectly. If you have a 7 day Metro card (which you should, even though you are only staying 6 days), then there's no extra expense either.

That's what I would do.

-JimG

Three Bridges, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One question left?

Some of those cruises also run their own buses after the cruise that go to 2 or 3 more convenient locations in the city- I forget which ones they are but you can call and ask them. When friends were out of town we did one and took the free bus to times square after.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One question left?

We arrive tomorrow as well and leave on the 30th! Have a fab trip!!

10. Re: One question left?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 05:17