We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Vacation apartment rentals

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
New York Vacation apartment rentals

I have found a couple of places offering NY apartment rentals for vacation, I thought it would be a cheaper option than a pricey hotel. I have come across flipkey, vrotels, and many others, I just want to know if they are legit.

We are looking for a place in Manhattan for my husband and myself under $150 a night

Any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Vacation apartment rentals

No, they're not legit, since the practice is almost always illegal in New York City. There are apartment hotels that serve the same purpose.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,170 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Vacation apartment rentals

Oh, and unless you're coming during January/February, your budget is probably too low for Manhattan.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Vacation apartment rentals

Short term rentals under one month are mostly illegal unless they are "Hosted Apartments" where the owner continues to reside in the apartment. Besides being illegal, there are numerous scammers out there. They are quite good at their craft, and you can find yourself without either your money or a place to stay.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Vacation apartment rentals

kaylin, on the right side of this page is a column titled Top questions on NYC. The second one down is why vacation rentals are a bad idea. Here's a link

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

If you give us your dates, we can help you find something that fits your budget. At most times, one of the Long island City hotels like the Country Inn & Suites or the Verve should fit your budget. LIC is a short ride by subway into Manhattan.

5. Re: New York Vacation apartment rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 06:17