We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

Hawthorn Woods, IL
Level Contributor
124 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

I hear about all the ethnic neighborhoods in NYC... we're visiting soon and come from German background... is there a German neighborhood? Any good German restaurants?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

Not really - Yorkville was THE German/Hungarian enclave for quite some time - in fact during WWII many were NAZI sympathizers with swazitkas flying and marchers Sieg Heiling............

We used to enjoy the Cafe Geiger, Kleine Konditeri and other German influenced restaurants, but no longer - the Geiger turned into a BBQ chicken joint as the neighborhood ethnicity changed.......................

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

I'd say the largest one is in Glendale, Queens. There's a very good German restaurant my family has gone to since I was a kid called Zum stammtisch, I recommend it. Their goulash soup is out of this world.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

The original German neighborhood was old "Kleindeutschland" on the lower east side, of which scarcely a trace remains (one of which is the grand old parish church "Most Holy Redeemer", on East 3rd Street.)

The General Slocum disaster is usually seen as delivering the fatal blow to Kleindeutschland; many people moved uptown to Yorkville to get away from the sad memories. Yorkville held on as a German-Hungarian neighborhood ti the 1960s, but that is almost all gone now.

Meanwhile, in Queens (and as Rach notes), Glendale and Ridgewood were traditionally German strongholds, and there are still a few remnants left (including the wonderful restaurant mentioned, which is where Myrtle and Cooper Avenues cross.) However, what you find today is barely the ghost of a shadow of what you could find 40 years ago, and nothing at all compared to the neighborhood before World War 2.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

What GWB said.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

All that said, when the Steuben Day parade takes place in mid Sept., the participants seem to congregrate in Yorkville at the end of the route, I think at the Heidelberg restaurant.

http://www.germanparadenyc.org/

http://www.heidelbergrestaurant.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
163 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

If you will be here on Sat, Sept. 15 there is the annual Steuben Day parade and celebrations. Www.germanparadenyc.org

A nice parade that isn't too crowded or long.

(Again I cross post with nywhiz!)

Edited: 29 August 2012, 13:07
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

..along with Heidelberg Restaurant, there's Schaller & Weber market on same block between 85-86th Streets on 2nd Avenue.. if of interest;-) Enjoy!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

If you make it to the Upper East Side, Glaser's Bakery is still alive and well!

http://www.glasersbakeshop.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

Yeah, my parents went to Zum stammtisch back in the 70s and said the restaurant used to be better then. Actually, I think my Aunt said as of the last few years, they got a new chef so some dishes aren't the same. But it's still really good.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a German neighborhood in NYC?

I just Googled "General Slocum Disaster" and I found that pretty interesting.