We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Selections

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Selections

Narrowing down selections for general sightseeing vacation. Deciding between Distrikt, Staybridge, Elements or Hampton Inn Times Square. Does anyone have some experiences or recommendations. Three are in the 39-40 block, Hampton is closer to Central Park. 4 Night/5 day trip. Thank you.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Selections

Many visitors assume that Times Square is the "best" and "most central" place to stay, but it's not the best choice for most travelers.

Is there a reason you are focusing on Times Square? While it's certainly a place you will want to visit, you'll be glad to get out of the massive crowds when you're done. It's also not a particularly good neighborhood for restaurants.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Selections

I am taking my son and his girlfriend who are 20 and they were told TImes Square was the most central location.

We plan on seeing the 911 memorial, Ellis Island, Central Park and Rock Center and maybe take in a show.

Hoping to find something nice within an area of $700-800 per night for two rooms.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Selections

"they were told TImes Square was the most central location."

Kind of irrelevant since you will likely be taking the subay all over the place.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Selections

You are probably right. They are very excited about the trip and want to be in the middle of all the activity. I appreciate your input.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Selections

The Staybridge and distrikt are next to each other and quite convenient really to get to a subway and restaurants in restaurant row are nearby. We have stayed in the Staybridge Suites and we had no complaints.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,726 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Selections

No complaints from me for Staybridge either. I would guess that those 4 hotels are all pretty reasonable.

Staybridge and Distrikt are directly opposite the entrance to the PABT/42nd St subway stations and you have access to lots of other subway lines via walkways from there.

They are also a 5 min walk to lots of good restaurants on 9th Ave and also Restaurant Row. They are in a great neighbourhood for food choices.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Selections

We were leaning towards the Staybridge so I appreciate your sharing your experience. Thanks again.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Selections

Thank you so much for your reply. It helps to hear from someone that has experienced the service first hand. Thanks again.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Selections

Just what "activity" is Times Square supposed to be in the middle of? (and yes, I mean that as a serious question.)

My idea of a good location for a hotel is a place I can walk outside and be in the middle of a neighborhood with lots of good places to eat, and little convenient shops for getting snacks, or necessaries, or interesting items to take home. That does not describe Times Square AT ALL.

Times Square is close to the theaters -- but unless you are here to see three or four Broadway shows, it sin't any more conveniently located than any other neighborhood with good subway access, and it is a much less pleasant place to stay. I mean, do you really want to be obliged to leave the area of your hotel to find a decent place to eat every time you want a quick and simple meal?

Don't feel confined to Times Square; you will find more street life on one block of any Avenue in Manhattan (whether on the Upper West Side, or in Chelsea, or even Murray Hill) than you will find in all of downtown Dallas.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 23:49
10. Re: Hotel Selections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2013, 10:17