We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying food - midtown area

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Buying food - midtown area

Hello, we'll be in NYC mid town for a month from mid December. We've booked an apartment (in a hotel) and plan to be able to eat in a bit. Can anyone provide information about where to buy fruit and vegetables and other food stuffs in the mid town area ( ~ 58th and 5th).

I did a search and found the 57th Fruit & Vegetable Market at 363 W 57th St.....it looks like the closest? What is it like?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying food - midtown area

I would just advise you to wander around the immediate area when you get there and see what you come across. I think I saw that market when I was there and it looked okay but didnt go in.

If you just want basic supplies, there are Duane Reade drugstores on practically every corner, and they also do food as well. Iif you want to splash out a bit try the food hall at Grand Central (42nd/Lexington)

I would take the subway down to Union Square (19th). Every Mon, Weds, Fri & Sat they have farmers markets with lots of local food produce, looked really nice when we wandered round and definitely would have purchased some items if we'd been self-catering.

There may be other markets too but this was the only one I came across.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying food - midtown area

Map the hotel on

maps.google.com

and then click 'search nearby' and type in supermarkets. Alternately, you can try typing at the top of google maps supermarkets near xyz hotel. You'll also get reviews. There's a huge Whole Foods store in the basement of the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle.

By the way, there is no apartment hotel near 5th & 58th st. Do you mean the AKA Central Park? That's closer to 6th ave.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying food - midtown area

A whole foods has just opened at 57 and third

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying food - midtown area

There is a pretty good supermarket on the NE corner of 55th Street & 6th Avenue, right across the street from the LOVE sculpture. There is also a Whole Foods in the Time Warner Center (59th Street & 8th Avenue)

A little typo I think in the first reply - the Union Square greenmarket would be reached by taking the subway down to 14th Street. (Union Square stretches from 14th Street to 17th Street).

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying food - midtown area

Oops yes I did mean 14th! Thanks for that!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying food - midtown area

There's a supermarket on 57th by Broadway. Cant think of the name but it goes through to 58th so it's bigger than it looks. Morton Williams maybe? Then, you have the 2 Whole Foods. There is also a Gourmet Garage in the East 60s but I doubt you will end up schlepping all the way over there.

suitcaseready.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying food - midtown area

Thanks for all the great suggestions....really helpful.

I did some searching myself since I posted and came across quite a few places. Some of which I've looked up:

Gristedes 034

907 8th Avenue & 54th Street

New York, NY 10019

Phone: 212-582-5873

Fax: 646-274-5880

DAgostino at 54th Street

815 10th Ave New York, NY 10019

and some I need to do some more investigating:

Yemsamali Grocery Inc 57th Fruit & Vegetable Market Morton

Williams

Columbus Circle Holiday Market

Westerly Natural Market

Amish Market

Westside

Western Beef Supermarket

Gourmet Garage

Tehuitzingo Deli Grocery

The Food Emporium

Dean & DeLuca

Shoop's Deli

Integral Yoga Natural Foods

So I think we'll be right now. Thanks again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying food - midtown area

That Food Emporium is at 8th and 49th so not all that close, but I kept running into it. I thought it was pretty good, it has a basement so was bigger than it seemed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying food - midtown area

Whole Foods in the Time Warner Building is pricey but great.

wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/columbuscircle

There's a Greenmarket on Wednesdays and Saturdays on West 57th Street.

http://www.grownyc.org/57greenmarket

Trader Joe's is on Broadway and West 72nd Street, and is a short bus ride from where you will be staying. The M5 bus goes down Broadway, makes a left on West 57th and a right on 5th Avenue. The prices and selection are great. http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/index.asp

Food Emporium and DAgostino are both pricey. I have a DAgostino two blocks from my apartment, and I walk 3/4 of a mile to shop at Trader Joe's. My shopping cart comes in handy for my weekly shopping at Trader Joe's.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying food - midtown area

Thanks Lyricaldove...very helpful