We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

Hi there.

My fiance and I are eloping From London to NYC in late January (approx dates Jan 28 - Feb 4, but we're flexible according to when is cheapest!). It's just going to be the two of us, and we're getting hitched at City Hall.

We really really love the look of the Library Hotel, but it is out of our budget at current prices. We'd like to get somewhere for 7 nights for $1300 dollars or £800. We figured in January this should be do-able??

Should we book asap as prices are likely to go up? Or is it worth taking the gamble and waiting until November-ish to see if prices come down? Do the hotels still drop in price in January? If so, any idea when they start to drop? Do the popular hotels like the Library have sales/discounts?

We're not fussy on location, as long as it's with Manhattan...

ANY advice would be massively appreciated....

Thanks

H xx

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

Just a small point - how can this be an "elopement" if you're telling the whole world five months in advance, that this is what you'll be doing? Do you actually know what it means to "elope"? Just saying ...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

Most wedding vendors in New York class two people getting married on their own as an 'elopement' - we did the same last week and that is how everyone we met described it. Maybe not in the true sense of the word but we all know what the OP is talking about. Plus she's posting anonymously so how would the people she knows identify her???!

I'm sure she would appreciate a much more helpful response.

BTW, congrats HRH on your forthcoming wedding - we have just come back from our wedding in NY and it was amazing. The city clerks office is great!!

I'm not really an expert with hotels - we stayed in the Waldorf Astoria, which was beautiful but not really a budget option! If you need any advice on any other aspect of your wedding, then please PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck with your plans!! x

Edited: 02 September 2012, 14:04
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

There are definitely deals to be had in Jan. but your budget amounts to about $150-160/night plus tax and I doubt you'll get the Library at that price. You can try phoning them and explain you're coming to get married and would like to stay there and see what the best price they can offer would be.

I had a look on Hotwire.com for air/hotel pkgs. There's a pkg price of $1306/person for Morgans hotel which is near the Library and has a similar feeling. With nonstop airfare at $661/person on United, that means you'd be paying just under your budget for the hotel. Booking this, I'm sure you'd have to pay the whole thing on booking. They also have a good price for the Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square of about the same price.

Yes, it's very possible to find sales on websites like

travelzoo.com

travel-ticker.com

for that time that wouldn't get posted until Oct/Nov but I think it's unlikely you'd see a sale for the Library that low.

One nice place I see that you could book as cancelable is the Element on

booking.com at just around your budget ($1353.82) and includes breakfast with king bed. It can be cancelled with no fee 4 days before or more.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

squirrel - thanks so much for your reply - you're right, I massively appreciate such a helpful response! I would really love to talk further with you about the 'elopement' (sorry - getting-married-abroad-without-any-guests-but-writing-anonymously-on-the-internet-first) experience ;)

Huge congratulations on your newlywed status! Great minds think alike and all that.... We are hugely excited about our trip!

So you guys got married at city hall? Was it just the two of you? Was it fairly easy to do when you got there? Did you just give 24 hours notice? How long were you in NYC for? Did you hire a photographer? Did you still wear a wedding dress? (silly perhaps - but i'm umming and ahhing over what to do in that regard!) Hope you don't mind so many questions!

NYWHIZ - wow that is also massively helpful and very kind of you. Morgans Hotel looks gorgeous and I hadn't noticed it before. That sounds like a good deal. I'll definitely look into it further.

We're both national press journalists so have written to the lovely people at The Library about getting a press rate - if you don't ask, you don't get! But no reply yet :(

If we don't see anywhere we really like soon, I think we'll hang on until October/November and try and get something in a sale as you advise.

Thank you both for taking the time to be so lovely xx

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

I would suggest sending squirrel.. a personal message and getting more details. A sense of humor?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

No one gets marries at City Hall, since they don't do weddings there. As squirrel said, you get married at the City Clerk's office.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

HRH, I'll PM you before we get any more sarcastic comments on this thread!!! ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

Hi. - Expedia is currently showing the Comfort Inn Theatre District for a measly £738.67p and you get breakfast thrown in too. Although due to the nature of your trip I seriously doubt you'll be up in time to take advantage of it.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

All adults here and mostly helpful.

10. Re: Help! Affordable hotel in January for elopement.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 10:18