We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

UK, Hursley
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

We are coming beginning of December to New York.

Are there any nice restaurants which you recommend?

It should be affordable which does not mean cheap. I just mean that I am not looking for luxurious or exclusive places. Something typical, if such a style exists for Ny, would be nice.

Otherwise we like more or less all kind of meals and tastes.

Thank you for any ideas.

Do we need to book in advance?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

I recommend Trattoria Trecolori on 47th between Broadway and Eighth Ave. great food, very reasonable prices, excellent service, centrally located. You need a reservation. Look on their website for menu options.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

http://www.restaurantrownyc.com/index_nm.html

MenuPages, Yelp also come to mind to help you find a suitable restaurant in a suitable area.

As you know there are thousands of restaurants.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

I recommend E & E's Grillhouse on 49th street . You need a reservation for dinner but lunch is easy on a non matinee day. Oh yeah and there are about 22 thousand other good restaurants in town.

Around the corner from me is a good Turkish restaurant that used to be a Greek coffee shop (Lex between 90th and 91st - You need to book if there's something on at the Y. On 3rd between 90th and 86th are 2 Japanese restaurants, a coffee shop, a good pizza place, some Thai restaurants, a Korean noodle bar, a nice Italian restaurant.

Point is, you should use zagat.com or yelp or menu pages to do research in areas you intend to be in and then ask for feedback on restaurants that interest you.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

Whether a restaurant is "affordable" or not depends on what you can afford; what Bill Gates considers affordable and what someone earning minimum wage considers affordable are not the same things. Since we don't know how much money you have, or don't have, we cannot know what you would consider "affordable".

In any case, there are tens of thousands (and I mean that literally) of places to eat in NYC at every price range, and all over town. You might start by going to menupages.com, where you can sort restaurants by (among other things) price, and looking at the menus there -- which will give you an idea of how much you might pay in a restaurant from the lowest to the highest end.

Remember that menu prices do NOT include either sales tax (8.875%) or the tip (which here as a bare minimum is 15% for adequate service, but more -- like 18 to 20% -- for ordinarily good service, and even more for particularly outstanding service), so add another 25% or so to the posted prices to get a rough idea of what you will actually pay when the meal is over.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

I believe Zagat has an app. I suggest you take a good look at it as only you can judge, affordable and nice. Baring that go to nymag.com and look for Adam Platt's lists. He has one for the 100 Best Places and another one for the 100 Cheap Eats. Have fun doing research. Nothing like discovering NYC cuisine on your own and let your mouth water.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,520 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

The criteria narrows down your choices to a few thousand.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

This very recent trip report mentions a lot of reasonably priced restaurants.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5733018…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,804 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

With something like 20,000+ restaurants in NYC, you're asking how long is a piece of string. For best information, tell us where you're staying and the kinds of foods you like or what you would like to eat. I will warn the beginning of Dec. is one of the busiest, most crowded times of the year and the best places whether exclusive or not will require prebooking unless they're so casual (like a diner or coffee shop) that they don't take reservations.

opentable.com

is a website from which you can book a lot of restaurants.

menupages.com

is another place to do some research.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

XisF--We just got back from a 3 week trip to NYC. There are a bunch of great restaurants. We fell in love with The Smith. It is very resonable, with great food and good prices. They have two locations. You can look on my blog at the places we ate:

http://www.galatitravel.com/NYC_2012.html

Cyndi

10. Re: Recommendations for Restaurants (lunch or dinner)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 10:18