We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

I apologize for asking a question that seems to have been asked quite a bit on this forum but I wasn't able to find an answer in previous posts...

I'm looking for a nice, private spot in NYC, preferably with a view of the empire state building, to propose to my girlfriend. I met her in NYC a few years ago at Christmas time and we shared our first kiss at the top of the empire state, so it holds a special meaning HOWEVER...she's a little shy and I know she would feel uncomfortable being proposed to in a crowd, so doing it at the top of the empire state building (my original thought) probably wouldn't go over too well. One option is to stay at a hotel with a balcony/terrace with a view of the empire state, but a 2 night stay in a room like that can be a bit costly. So I just curious if anyone knows any other options? We'll be going October 5th.

Thanks so much for your help!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

The rooftop bar at La Quinta Hotel on 32nd Street offers a view of the ESB, though it's not private.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

The rooftop bar at the Affinia Shelburn also has a view of both the ESB and the Chrysler building but whether it will be open by then Imdont know. It's small and there are private corners.

The Affinia Dumont hotel has rooms with views of the ESB as does the Aff. shelburn. For real privacy, that's what I'd suggest.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

There are pretty nice views from Madison Square Park, which is just seven blocks down Fifth Avenue from the Empire State Building. Lots of photos of the view of the ESB from Madison Square Park can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fave-snaps/

Especially if you propose after dark (when the ESB is lit up, and when the park is quieter) you can probably find a private corner in the park and not attract attention.

Good luck! :)

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,878 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

Do check out the Shelburne, if you can afford a room there then email the concierge and ask about using the roof for an hour during the day. I was able to take my teen up there for a while when the roof top bar was closed, it was lovely and the views were very nice. It is very private when closed.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

The rooftop bar of the Strand Hotel also as ESB views.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

I agree with the previous posters regarding the Shelburne rooftop bar. It's very small and quite lovely. We went up there on a Sunday morning to have coffee and it was empty.

Ontario
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

The rooftop patio at The Nomad hotel as a great view of the ESB - some rooms do too (the one we stayed in had that view from the bathtub!).

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

Thanks, I called the Affinia Shelburne about their rooftop bar availability. The bar closes for the season the prior week but they told me they'll provide me access anyway, which is perfect, as it'll be a little more private.

Thanks for all your help! Your advice played an integral part in an evening she'll hopefully never forget :-)

9. Re: Marriage Proposal: Private location with view of Emp State?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2013, 10:17