We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

UK
10 posts
Save Topic
Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are booked to stay in Brooklyn in a couple months, for 7 nights. I'm English and she's American (west coast). I chose the accommodation/area on a whim because the rooms looked so good, but i'm starting to wonder if i was wrong to rush it like that.

The place I chose is the Missing Lantern, Dean Street in Brooklyn. I've been reading around since I booked and it looks to be a bit of a sketchy neighbourhood. I'm also reading that it's not too ideal of a location for tourists.

I'm not too worried about the neighbourhood, I don't anticipate that I'd be walking around tenement blocks past midnight or something, and I don't mind a bit of noise. It still is a bit of a worry if it genuinely isn't safe, but i'm not paranoid.

Like many, I guess I ended up picking this place because I couldn't afford any good places in Manhattan. Well no place that looked as good as this (private bathroom etc.) but I'm starting to wonder if i should have sacrificed a a nice room so I could stay somewhere more central to Manhattan. I'm half Italian myself and wondering around Little Italy is a big one on my list of things to do.

Have i made it really difficult for myself to get to substations and travel around the city? or am i just being paranoid?

Would you recommend cancelling this booking? and picking a lesser room in a better area?

thanks a lot

Edited: 07 September 2012, 11:18
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

Firstly, Dates and what you've paid would be useful to make an informed decision. It's not a hotel, it's a guesthouse, which is somewhat of a different scenario. It's not one I've heard on here before.

It's probably a perfectly safe area as long as you've got common sense. Whether it is a convenient area for a tourist, is the question you should be asking. Personally, If you're on a tight budget, Long Island City and the hotels there are the place to be looking.

Just how much have you paid per night for this place, and what are your dates, maybe there is something more "convenient" out there..

M

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

The words that come to mind are "sort of". The area is "sort of" in Bed Stuy and "sort of" in Prospect Heights. It is "sort of" near Pratt and "sort of" near Prospect Park. The area is "sort of" up and coming but not there yet. Although it is near David's Brisket House which does have some good word of mouth. On the other hand, you will experience what living in a true Brooklyn neighborhood is like. Would I stay there? Maybe? Sort of?

As for transportation, it is four blocks away from the A train and somewhat further from the dreaded Franklin Ave shuttle. The problem with the A train, as I see it, is that it is one of the few lines in Brooklyn that do not stop at Atlantic Terminal, thus it is a more difficult transfer to other trains that you may need to take. Not the most convenient place out there.

As for Little Italy, these days it is little more than a name on a map. The Italians who made the neighborhood a vibrant place to shop have long since left. A few restaurants that cater to tourists still remain in place. For the real Little Italy in NYC head up to Arthur Ave in the Belmont Section of the Bronx.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

David's Brisket House is great!

But I agree with BrooklynMel -- this is just not that convenient a place for a typical visitor to stay. You could walk the 11 blocks to the Franklin Avenue train stop, but otherwise you're really dependent on the A, which has the problem Mel mentioned, or the C, which has the same problem but with more stops in Brooklyn, so it takes even longer.

If you were coming for several weeks and wanted to really get the feel of some neighborhoods, I think it would be fine, but with 7 days that you'll mostly be spending in Manhattan, I think you could do better.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

It was booked for a week. $850 in late November, early December.

I have actually already decided to cancel! I agree it probably is perfectly safe, and most people who write those reviews are just easily intimidated and enjoy complaining.

it did seem like I had got suckered in by really beautiful decor in the room, when we'll be spending all our time out and about anyway. It seemed like we'd be dashing for the last train after spending hours and hours elsewhere just to get back to Brooklyn then walk for a while before we're in our room.

I'd rather stay closer to the stuff we want to see and do.

I'll look to stay in a room that's perhaps less well equipped that is as close as possible to Little Italy, as that's the big draw for me.

Any recommendations along those lines?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

Little Italy is in the Bronx. The Little Italy that used to be in Manhattan is now Chinatown. If you want to stay in Chinatown, there are a bunch of hotels there, like the Best Western Bowery Hanbee.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

I guess I just need the best place i can afford that is near enough to all the transport links that would make New York/Manhattan my oyster.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

I see, well is The Bronx a decent area to stay itself? Or I suppose it's a case of where you stay in The Bronx I guess?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

There are no good tourist hotels in the Bronx.

Did you give us exact dates and a maximum budget per night?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

Thing is tonyj91, if you stick to the budget you have (and you still haven't given us exact dates, I'm assuming you've already booked flights), you probably won't find anywhere in Long Island City, let alone Manhattan with a budget of $105 per night before taxes.

Exact Dates, plus a realistic budget per night in US $, and then we can point you in the right direction.

M

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brooklyn - Should I stay or should I go?

i often see people ask for exact dates that people are coming to visit. i would never disclose that info, esp when there's specific lodging being suggested too. this may be a friendly forum but you never know who's trolling out there.