We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling through New York City

Morgan, Vermont
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
traveling through New York City

We will be traveling from VT to Baltimore in late September and I am wondering how the traffic has been in the city? We usually take the Cross Bronx Expressway to the GWB at 3am, but this time we will be coming through about noon on a Thursday. With the construction am I better off taking the Tappan Zee route to the Garden State Parkway to the NJ Turnpike?

Are there any quicker routes to get to the Tappan Zee bridge from Hartford, such as 84 to 684 to the Saw Mill Parkway?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited: 07 September 2012, 21:28
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling through New York City

id take the Tappan zee and stay away from X Bronx and GWB--but id take Palisades Pkwy to NJT heres some directions from Google-to me a prettier drive and not many tolls

10. Follow signs for I-87 N/I-287 W/Albany/Tappan Zee Bridge and merge onto I-287 W

0.4 mi

11. Merge onto I-287 W/I-87 N

5.0 mi

12. Take exit 10 for U.S. 9W toward Nyack/So Nyack

0.6 mi

13. Slight left onto US-9W S/Hillside Ave

3.2 mi

14. Turn right onto Highland Ave

0.1 mi

15. Turn right onto Orangeburg Rd

0.3 mi

16. Turn left onto Kings Hwy

0.9 mi

17. Turn right onto NY-303 N

0.3 mi

18. Merge onto Palisades Interstate Pkwy S via the ramp to New York

Entering New Jersey

13.6 mi

19. Continue onto US-9W S

0.4 mi

20. Continue onto Fletcher Ave

0.1 mi

21. Turn right to merge onto U.S. 1 S/US-46 W/U.S. 9 S toward I-95 S/I-80 W

Continue to follow US-46 W

2.7 mi

22. Take the I-95 S/I-80 W ramp

0.3 mi

23. Follow signs for Interstate 95 S/New Jersey Turnpike S

0.9 mi

24. Take exit 16W toward Rutherford

0.6 mi

25. Merge onto I-95 S/New Jersey Turnpike S

Partial toll road

55.5 mi

26. Continue onto New Jersey Turnpike

Morgan, Vermont
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling through New York City

That is an interesting route. I have been on the Palisades Parkway before, as a kid traveling with my parents. I'm a little leery about getting onto the Turnpike so close to the GWB. We are looking to make good time on the way down and may do some wandering on the way home when we don't have any place to be. Thanks for the input.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling through New York City

You can avoid even more Traffic & congestion! and take Route 84 from Hartford over The Newburgh Beacon Bridge (thru the Hudson Valley) to the NYS Thruway South to Route (NJ)17 South, to the NJ Turnpike South! Your GPS should correct itself and give you directions once you go over the Newburgh Beacon Bridge!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling through New York City

Why do you want to drive? Take the train.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling through New York City

are you coming from the east or west part of vermont?

Morgan, Vermont
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling through New York City

We are coming from the northeast part of VT. We live at the north end of I-91. The train is not an option, we need a vehicle and would rather not have to rent a car.

Thanks.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling through New York City

from the northeast, i91 to hartford, then i84 west to the NY thruway i87. go to suffern, pick up i287 south to the new jersey turnpike. a few extra miles, less tolls, should be faster than crossing the hudson further south.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling through New York City

NJT is 2.7 miles from GWB on 46--as i recall theres another bigger rd that goes to the right as you come off Palisades--287?? not sure--that goes to NJT

Morgan, Vermont
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling through New York City

I may just wing it and listen to the traffic updates. My uncle drove to Baltimore two weeks ago, went through NYC at around noon and said he sailed right through to the NJ Turnpike. He said he meant to take the 287-Tappan Zee route off I-95 but he spaced it and missed the turn. He stayed on I-95 all the way through the city and wasn't hardly slowed down at all.

10. Re: traveling through New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2013, 10:16