We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
153 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

This may be a duh question to some but my husband and daughter gets seasick at the slightest whiff of wind. We are planning to visit SOL in early December and I am worried that the sea will be a bit rough at that time of the year. I don't want to embarrass them if they're chucking over the sides on the way! What are the chances of the crossing being rough? Any advice on what time of day to go to minimize the problem? And oh, no doubt it will be cold, but freezing? Comments on your past experiences at wintertime would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

I did get a bit seasick when we visited in September last year however, I think it was partly due to us being at the front of the entry queue which meant that we got on the boat when it was largely empty and therefore rocking quite a bit. We also only arrived in NY the previous day so I think I had some leftover jet lag which made the motion sickness worse. I didn't vomit or anything though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

Not usually.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

There is a very high chance of a rough crossing as it will be winter time and even if there are calm waters in the morning the afternoon may be have a weather change ( or vice versa ), no one can predict what will happen , we have done the crossing in November and in March and both times have had rough crossing ( even boarding the boat was halted as the water at the docks was too rough to continue boarding passengers )

As to if will be freezing, possible not ( unless snowmageddon happens again ) average temps for December range in the 0 - 6 celcius ( 43 - 32 fah )range , so for us Melbournians thats not to bad , but for you Queeenslanders it will feel freezing

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

The Upper Bay is not the open sea, but is an almost completely enclosed and protected lagoon. It is rare that the conditions in the Upper Bay could ever remotely be described as a "rough sea".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

The day I took the ferry to SOL it was drizzly and a bit windy. I wasn't seasick on the boat trip but for a few days afterwards whenever I stood still I felt like I was standing on a swaying boat. It didn't make me feel sick, it was just a weird feeling.

As you "gets seasick at the slightest whiff of wind" then be prepared for seasickness or motion sickness. A rough crossing could happen in summer, autumn or spring, not only winter.

6. Re: Ferry to SOL - can you get seasick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 10:17