We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

Would like to see the lights during Xmas visit to NYC. I think it would be easiest to do a tour ( with asliceodbrooklyn probably) and see there's a tour available Xmas night.

Do you think there would be any downside to doing it this night? Just as many lights likely to be on etc? I thought this could be a fun way to end Xmas Day in NYC.

Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

I can't see any downside at all. Just know that a lot of restaurants serving Xmas meals close earlier than normal on xmas day so their staff can have some time with family. Depending on the hour of the tour, I'd try to eat before the tour IF you plan on a traditional meal. If you just want something ethnic like Chinese etc., places will be open later.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,542 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

The trip advisor reviews of the site are useful. Looks like it's slow going when you get to the lights, but I am not clear if the tour coach travels down the street/s or drops people off to walk. And I wonder how much of the 3 1/2 hours of the tour is getting between the start and finish spot (on Manhattan) and the lights. it looks like getting there on the subway is feasible - if a bit of a hike to the lights.

Glad to find out about the site and the tour, so another big tick to this wonderful forum. just have to decide which way to see them.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

My bike club does a night ride to see the lights, and last year they were as spectacular as ever. I took my sister one year and she was in awe. I can say that you are gonna love this. Here are some photos from last year to get you psyched: gothamist.com/2011/…photo-1

Manila
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

I wonder if the lights would still be up by Jan 2. Any ideas guys?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

Some may still be up on the 2nd, yes, but if you can go earlier, you should. (And I thought you were going to River Cafe on the 2nd? You couldn't do both on the same day unless you have lunch at RC--they're nowhere near each other.)

Edited: 12 September 2012, 16:07
6. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 September 2012, 16:35
Manila
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

@Crans I was thinking of doing it after the River Cafe but I've read that it's quite far from a train station so I'm thinking of joining a tour on the 30th. It's 55 dollars each so I'm okay with that price.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,970 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

What's offensive about it, Ralph? You've lost me.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

Thank you all very much.

I think we'll do it - the alternative is dinner at the Rock Cafe, but can do that anytime during our stay. Love the kitsch value of lights, lots of oohing and aaahing ; and although we could do it ourselves (ie not on the tour) and save the $200+ (5 of us, one payer!!!), I think it would just be so much easier to hop on the bus.

Manila
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dyker Heights lights on Xmas night

@sasanqua have you tried looking for a discount code?