We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

I know - anywhere in Staten Island beyond the Ferry Terminal is off the beaten path. But there are indeed some cool places if you know where to look. Did a scouting ride for the Five Boro Bike Club yesterday and we took in the following:

Sailors Snug Harbor. Beautiful buildings, beautiful grounds, just a great place to walk about. And it is only five minutes from the ferry by bike. You can take a bus there from the Ferry.

Blazing Star Cemetery and "The Dead Pool" Graves from the 18th Century and tombstones with poetry. Then, walk down the little path towards the Arthur Kill, for a better view of the Dead Pool - where old ferries and tugs go to die. forgotten-ny.com/2010/…

Kreischerville - The Kreischer family built a brickworks on the far side of Staten Island. Headed there to see the Hungarian Church, beautiful PS4, the Charleston Graveyard, the workers housing, and the mansion on the hill: forgotten-ny.com/2000/…

Killmeyers: Biking for 40 miles brings on thirst and hunger. Killmeyers provided the remedy. An old German biergarten since the 1850s, hefty potato pancakes and apple sauce, amazing goulash and washed down with Spaten dark beer. Slower bike for a while after lunch. http://www.killmeyers.com

Out of the way? Yep. Easy to get to? Nope [except Sailors Snug Harbor]. Worth a visit, absolutely. Staten Island? Who knew?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,744 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

Who knew? not even me. Perhaps a 'road trip' in SI should be in order for us ;)

with Killmeyers I have a love hate relationship. At the moment we are at the acquaintance stage. Need to go back soon.

Snug Harbor is stunning indeed. Spent a lot of lonely hours there while waiting for my kids art classes to end.

For families there's also the SI Zoo which to me is the most underrated zoo in NY and always evolving.

Another nice report Mel.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

Ziggy: Killmeyers opened the garden for us even though it technically was closed, and allowed us to bring our bikes in. They had great goulash and great beer. Best yet, they had an oom-pah band and my bike partner and me danced a very poor polka. A most worthy lunch stop.

I also used to take my kids to the Staten Island Zoo. It was just the right size for little folks and was far less overwhelming than the Bronx Zoo. I would agree that it is underrated.

I stopped in Sailors Snug Harbor where old sailors retired in dignity and style. I also passed Kreischerville and saw the houses that Kreischer built for his workers. It seems that we had a different ethos about respect for the working man back in the day. Quite different from those pension raiders today.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,744 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

There's no such thing as a bad polka Mel.

There's actually plenty to see at the zoo. My favorite is watching a group of meerkats sleeping in a tiny shoe box while the watch guard meerkat by the window staring at you in the face

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

You both are my inspiration for future exploration. Thank you!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

I love the SI Zoo. They are expanding this year. We'll wait and see how that turns out.

There are a couple of good restaurants near Snug Harbor too. Blue is new. Adobe Blues has been around for a while and has an excellent beer selection.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

Oh, and I thought I'd throw a plug in for the 39th annual Greek Festival. It's a 25 minute bus ride from the ferry. It's this Fri, Sat, and Sun.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,221 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

If you want to go even further afield on Staten Island you can take the Staten Island Railway (which accepts Metrocards) to the last stop in Tottenville. You can visit the Conference House, the site of the only peace conference held during the Revolutionary War.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
960 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

This sounds interesting. How do you get from the ferry terminal to the railway terminal?

Edited: 10 September 2012, 16:36
staten island
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

It's in the St. George ferry terminal. Look for the signs for the train and go down the stairs. Make sure to check the website of the Conference House for hours.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off the Beaten Path - Staten Island

Mel

How come you missed Staten Island's 9/11 memorial? Oh I forgot you where on a bike and would missed things like this.