We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Topic
Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

I will be going from Pittsburgh to New York City in April via Greyhound, but am a little confused.

I see that there are two different stops, one listed as "New York, NY", and the other as "New York Penn Station".

It appears to me that they are on the same street, and I know that one is an actual terminal whereas one is not. However, one of the routes to Penn Station includes a stop at the "New York" location at 5:50 am, then a transfer leaving at 6:45, and arriving at Penn Station at 7:00.

What the heck is going on here? Am I missing something, or is there any reason to wait that long to continue on to Penn Station? Should I just take the bus into the "New York, NY" stop and I'll be alright?

I apologize if there is something blatant I am missing.

Thanks for your help!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

I never bothered figuring that out, but New York, NY what you want.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

I suspect you should contact Greyhound. Most of us do not make that journey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

The bus trip is awful. If you have to use a bus, look at

Megabus.com

fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

Penn Station (NY Penn on Greyhound's site) and Port Authority Bus Terminal (NY, NY on Greyhound's site) are about a 10 minute walk from each other. Saying that they are "on the same street" (avenue, actually) is technically correct but misleading. If you actually do take a bus, don't bother relying on Greyhound to transfer between the two. Walk (or take a taxi if you have tons of luggage).

I have no idea why Greyound publishes these two locations in the manner it does. I have personally found it incredibly confusing in the past.

Also note that Greyhound's website for travel between these locations is incredibly untrustworthy. I just tried to plan a trip from the NY Penn location to Boston and Greyhound's website advised me to take a bus journey from NY Penn to Binghamton to Scranton to NY Port Authority and then to Boston, arriving 13 hours after I started.

Yes, that's correct - in order to get the half mile from NY Penn to NY Port Authority, Greyhound's website suggested that I take an eight hour detour through upstate NY and Pennsylvania.

That's a mark of what happens when your website design has incredibly poor QA.

Pittsburgh...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

Thanks for the replies everyone. Most everything has been cleared up.

Binghamton, New York
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

Is there a bus station in Staten Island or do you have to go to Port Authority or Penn Station? Looking to get from Staten Island to Wildwood Crest, NJ.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

You need to go to the Port Authority and get a NJ Transit bus to Atlantic City. You'll change there for Wildwood. The may be a few direct buses at peak times. Check the NJ Transit schedule for Bus 319.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0319.pdf

8. Re: Question regarding Greyhound bus stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:16