We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

we're going to New York on December 26th and will be there for New Year's Eve. We'd love to find a good, relaxed, buzzy restaurant to eat in on Dec 31st. We're staying in the Meatpacking District (hotel Gansvoorte) and are not sure as to how easy it will be to move around on New Year's Eve - will we be able to get a taxi or is it better to plan walking? There are 6 of us and 2 are non-meat eaters (they eat fish) and one is a coeliac - so its important that wherever we eat is used to catering for a gluten free diet. so I'm hoping someone could recommend a coeliac-friendly place??? We plan to eat in a 'top' restaurant (hoping to get booking at 11 Madison park or maybe Daniels) on another eve so we'd love the place on 31st to be fairly relaxed with a lively unstuffy atmosphere! One place we heard of is Blue Smoke, a BBQ place - anyone eaten here?? and another is Spina - again, anyone know about it? Any suggestions would really be great cos we'd love to celebrate the NY somewhere lively with good food!!

New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

I can't recommend a NYE restaurant for you, but I have Celiac myself, and this map is an absolute lifesaver:

…blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-new-york-c…

It lists all the restaurants in NYC that have GF menus or can make GF accommodations. (This is by no means exhaustive. If you're considering another restaurant, I'd call or e-mail in advance to check with them.)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

Hangawi - vegan Korean with a gluten-free section to their menu. Reservations recommended.

Ozu - vegan and fish macrobiotic Japanese. I suspect that much of their menu is gluten-free, but you should confirm. Avoid the sushi, go for the noodle dishes.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

Blue Smoke is good but imo not great. However the jazz club beneath it, Jazz Standard serves the same food and might be tun and festive for NYE. Risotteria is the one place always mentioned for gluten free eating. Tons of other threads on the forum on the subject and also a listing in the features menu of

Menupages.com

for gluten free dining. Candle 79 and Mas are worth checking.

dublin ireland
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

thanks - will check all of your suggestions out. I've just come across a place - Bistango's - anyone know about it?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

Bistango is an Itlaian restauratn that offers gluten free pasta and other dishes upon request. It's on my list of places to eat, but I've never been there yet.

dakina - have you tried typing the word "celiac" in the forums' search box? That's how we 'Merikins spell it. ;o)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

Bistango is good Italian food and they are well-versed with gluten-free restaurants. One of my favorite restaurants in NYC is Nizza NYC, but it is very close to Times Square and the streets leading to Nizza might be closed for the ball drop. If you like Mexican food, Rosa Mexicano in Union Square is fantastic and can accommodate large groups if you make a reservation ahead of time. (Note, only the Union Sq. location has a certified gluten-free menu.)

There are lots of gluten-free options in NYC. You aren't far from Union Square which also has Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market which both sell lots of gluten-free groceries.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 13 September 2012, 02:55
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

It's unusual to read about Daniel and BBQ in the same paragraph. But if your budget includes Daniel and 11 Madison Park, you should not worry about gluten-free dining. At the highest level, restaurants are happy to accommodate special requests, especially when you mention them when making the reservation. If you are going to a proprietor-owned, non-franchise restaurant that costs $50 per person or more, they are used to this request - especially since Elizabeth Hasselbeck has made everyone conscious of the problem.

The real issue is getting this done on New Year's eve, when no restaurant is at its best. I wouldn't spend $200 a person (... for seated dining, I'm not talking about all-inclusive NYE parties) on NYE, Valentine's Day, or Mother's Day, because that value cannot be delivered under the crowded service conditions. Sorry.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

obsoperator >>The real issue is getting this done on New Year's eve, when no restaurant is at its best. I wouldn't spend $200 a person (... for seated dining, I'm not talking about all-inclusive NYE parties) on NYE, Valentine's Day, or Mother's Day, because that value cannot be delivered under the crowded service conditions. Sorry.<<

I love this comment. The biggest "insult" we ever could have paid to my Mom was to take her to a sit-down restaurant on Mother's Day. In her words "I'd rather cook than be in a restaurant with a limited menu and lots of 'amateurs' taking Mom out to eat." She was perfectly ok with us celebrating Mother's Day early or late at a restaurant ... just not on 'the day'. lol!

She worked in food service at many different levels from waitress in independent restaurants to manager of a large hospital cafeteria. She was ok with New Years' Eve because she said it was "about the festivities not the food" and the tips when she was waitressing were good on NYE ... she never commented on Valentine's Day ... of course I never knew her when she was single. ;)

Edited: 13 September 2012, 13:57
S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

Bistango

Rubirosa

Risoterria

L'Asso

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Manhatten restaurants catering for coeliacs - gluten free

Candle 79 and Pure Food and Wine are also veggie/GF options.

To be quite honest the forum threads on GF are not very comprehensive.

Also try Yelp NYC for other options.