We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

Bridgwater, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

My husband & I are heading to New York for our Honeymoon late October. Our return flight leaves Newark at around 10pm on Halloween. Allowing transfer and check in time we're looking at leaving the city at around 6.30pm - HOWEVER - we know the parade starts at 7pm. We would appreciate some local advice on how the parade impacts drivers' abilities to get us out of the city during Halloween Parade please. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

you need to be at the airport 3 hours before so will have to leave before 6.30pm.

How about taking the train?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

Agree -- the train is faster, cheaper, and safer in any case, and I certainly wouldn't be trying to go to EWR by car during rush hour.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

The Halloween parade is in Greenwich Village, so it has little impact on midtown. If you were asking about going to the parade and then to the airport, the Christopher Street PATH station might be helpful. Note that Halloween 2012 is Wednesday, so there is extra matinee traffic and congestion. I would say that if you're already on the West Side, you could use the PABT bus with reasonable chance of getting into the tunnel promptly, if that's your preference. The problem is that a car service doesn't have preferred access to the Lincoln Tunnel.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,495 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Side Steakhouse
West Side Steakhouse
827 Reviews
New York City, NY
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

If you're on the west side, I'd just take the train. No reason to deal with peak direction rush hour surface traffic at all when Penn Station is just as easily accessible as the bus terminal.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

im always a driver person, but at that time you may get really stuck in the tunnel--i would go by train--although the drivers of Dial 7 are really good at getting around traffic--they couild even use the Verrazano to get to EWR--if it were me id leave around 5PM--it could take 90 minutes on a bad day

Mentioned in this post
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

Are we talking about the 9:55PM United flight to Heathrow or the 10:15PM BA flight to Heathrow?

NJ Transit has a 7:16PM and a 7:22PM train from Penn Station. I really can't see getting an earlier train than that.

I've flown United from Newark to Heathrow many times. I print my boarding pass at home, I go up to the counter and drop my bag and off I go. Security is never more than 10 minutes or so after 8:00PM. This will still allow you plenty of time to shop and browse around the airport.

British Airways is one additional stop deeper into the airport so it will be another couple minutes. There is also a bit more of a wait with British Airways so all in all I might allow an additional 20 minutes (but the BA flight is 20 minutes later anyway).

The whole trip from Penn to the terminals at Newark Airport is roughly 45 minutes. The 7:16PM train will have you in the terminal by 8:00PM and the later train by just after 8:00PM - plenty of time.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
7. Re: leaving Midtown for Newark during Halloween Parade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:18