We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
31 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

Good Evening all NYC forums,,

I have checked out several sites (home away, etc.), including tripadvisor and there is this debate about don't rent any apartments/rooms cause they are probably illegal...etc.

So for someone from out of town what is the differences between an illegal apartment/room and legal apartment/room for rent (for less than 2 weeks)? Any concerns or suggestions would be great.

My specific situation is we will be spending 10 nights in NYC, Mar 22 thru April 1, 2013. I will have my family, 2 adults, 3 boys (16, 5, 1). I will be driving in from WV, so I am concerned about the safety and COST of parking my vehicle. I plan on using public transportation about 99% of the time we are in NYC so my vehicle may never move. A room that sleeps 4 (at least two double beds or larger) is perfect as the baby can sleep between my wife and me. We will only sleep in these rooms so all we demand is very clean and comfortable, would like a small kitchenette, a place to sit, wifi would be an added bonus. All things considered Manhattan (family friendly areas) would be preferred, but Brooklyn, Queens are fine as long as they are close to subway/bus/trains.

As with any family budget is a concern so I must consider every cost for our accommodations in the end. This includes taxes, fees, parking vehicle, cleaning cost and the cost of the room. To quote me $140.00 for a room but find out the taxes and fees are an additional $35.00 per night and $30 a day to park that truley makes this over $200 per day and way out of my budget.

I have seen several apartments (Queens/Brooklyn areas) for $1,200 a week and free on street parking and little additional fees and taxes. MY fear is whether or not they are 'legal'.

Can anyone help me out, puzhalsta.

Rick

Morgantown WV

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

It's really too complicated to answer your question. But the Country Inn & Suites in Long island City has rooms with 2 queen beds for $115/night pus tax includes free breakfast and has some free parking although they dont guarantee it. It's a short subway ride into Manhattan.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

Those $1,200. / week apartments are very very likely illegal and the city is cracking down big time.

I suspect that there are unscrupulous landlords trying to rent out apartments to unsuspecting tourists for $1,200 / week when the most they'd get from a long-term renter is probably about $1,200. / month (depending where they are located outside Manhattan). The city is on to this. It also cheats the city out of taxes so the city is on it. How does the city figure it out you ask? Residents complain and report that there are tourists. Nobody wants transients coming in and out of their building - it undermines their safety.

You are talking about putting your family at risk by going one of these routes and I would strongly recommend against it.

What makes something legal vs. illegal? Say I live in a two-bedroom apartment and I want to rent my second bedroom (why I might want to do something like this is beyond my comprehension but...) I believe I could legally list my 2nd bedroom and share my apartment with different tourists from Australia every week. While it does sound kinda cool at first, it also sounds like a nightmare. Some of them are going to come and go at all hours, some are going to come home drunk and break things. Some will be well-behaved but some will be a nuisance and keep me up at night.

Say I live in a brownstone and I own the whole 4 or 5 unit building. I believe that if I make certain provisions (like fire exits, sprinklers, establish myself so I pay the appropriate taxes), I believe that is legal.

Then you've got hotels like the Affinia properties and the wonderful Hotel Beacon on the very family friendly Upper West, every unit is an "apartment" but it is indeed completely legal. It is technically considered a hotel but I believe it is a wholly owned converted apartment building with studio, one and maybe two bedroom apartments. The reviews are spectacular.

One of the things you might want to consider is leaving your car in New Jersey. There is economical / affordable parking at the MetroPark NJTransit train station in Iselin NJ. You can park as long as you'd like in the garage and it is a fraction of the cost of Manhattan.

Street parking in New York City is notoriously challenging and cars need to be moved frequently.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

The simple answer is that by state law, if an apartment building in New York City contains three or more dwelling units, and those units are intended for permanent residence (that is, they are not hotel rooms or dorm rooms), then it is illegal to rent out any of those units for a period of less than 30 days. Are there houses with just one single apartment attached to the main dwelling (such as a basement apartment, or a "mother-in-law" apartment)? Yes -- primarily in Brooklyn and Queens (there are almost none in Manhattan), and they are not covered by the law. But is that what you see advertised, or what most people are looking for? No; what most people want is a regular apartment in a multiple dwelling in Manhattan -- and ALL of those are illegal to rent short term.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

Perhaps a solution to your problem would be a B&B. I know of such a place in Ditmas Park: www.honeysbedandbreakfast.com. Here, you can rent by the week and save some money. I do not know if they have a driveway, but you can park on the Street. You will also be able to check out living in a real NY area. Transportation to Manhattan would take 35 mins by subway.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

"To quote me $140.00 for a room but find out the taxes and fees are an additional $35.00 per night and $30 a day to park that truley makes this over $200 per day and way out of my budget."

So...what IS the budget? If $200 is "way out of" it, I'm wondering if you have unrealistic expectations on what hotel rooms are going for in New York City, especially during the spring break period when a lot of families have kids out of school and want to visit the city.

Instead of planning 10 days, why not double the nightly budget and just stay for 5 instead? 5 days is a enough time to see and do quite a bit.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,769 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

And so you know, "free on street parking" will mean moving your car at odd hours at least twice a week for street cleaning or getting an expensive parking ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

Why not rent a car instead of using your own and just drop if off when you arrive. When you're leaving, pick up another one and drive back. Will probably work out cheaper than driving your own and paying for parking.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

I agree with shortening your visit to 5 nights or so to make your budget work. And please, don't get double beds! They are just slightly wider than twin beds....and with a "baby sleeping between you and your wife"...very uncomfortable. Get queens or king size beds!. My family of five stayed at Affinia Shelbourn. Out of your budget, but one of the rooms was a suite...which is what you need. Living room with pull out queen bed....and a bedroom with King-size bed. Little kitchenette too. Look for something like that. Good luck!!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,070 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

Do not do as Cimb0m suggests. One way drop off fees are ridiculous and will cost way more than parking your own car in NYC.

Manila
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What makes apartment renting legal or illegal?

I think the OP was asking WHAT makes an apartment renting illegal and not HOW does an apartment renting is illegal.

Anyway, I think MoreFFmiles had a more logical explanation why apartment renting is illegal in NYC.