We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New years eve 2012

3 posts
Save Topic
New years eve 2012

Hi all!

So, I'm looking to take my lovely fiancée to New York for NYE, and it's fair to say I don't really know where to start!

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay, events on the night, or companies who can sort this sort of thing? Appreciate it will be an expensive trip, but it's a once in a lifetime thing for us :-)

Any advice gratefully received.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New years eve 2012

There's something for everyone in NYC on New Years (as there is anytime of the year)

For the past 2 New Years Eves in NYC (and this year too) I go see Phish at Madison Square Gardens. They always put on a great show. Other bands perform other places too if you like live music.

There's Times Square which I make a point to avoid at all times of the year, unless of course I'm going to see a show.

Fireworks in Central Park.

Find a special restaurant with a NYE dinner special going on for something Romantic.

Clubs. Really, something for everyone I think.

NYE in NYC is the most expensive time of the year. Don't expect a decent hotel in manhattan for under $300 a night.

Book NOW as the good places and cheaper places will go fast.

Neighborhood is never a huge factor for me in NYC, because the subway you can get anywhere you want to go in a short amount of time. Just look for good transportation options. Plus I find it fun to dine in different areas and explore in the evenings afterwards different parts of the city.

Have fun!

Edited: 16 September 2012, 22:58
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New years eve 2012

I would not look for any company that can plan it all for you as its likely to be less than ideal. You dont give us any clue about your ages, tastes, where you live, your budget so it's impossible to even begin to advise you. Ahve you ever been to YC? Do you expect to go to Times Square? My best tip is to do a search for trip,reports that onclude NYE or at elast give us some basic onfo about you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New years eve 2012

So sorry about the typos.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New years eve 2012

Apologies- myself and my partner are 28&27 respectively. Budget is circa 5k for us both. We are based in the UK, so need flights also.

We prefer chilled out, relaxing pubs/bars to packed nightclubs. Food wise, pretty much anything.

I have been to NYC back in 2006 and LOVED it! We intend to go to Times Square but reading online it looks like it can get a little challenging with the crowd control/lack of toilets etc- so maybe just a nice bar/restaurant with a view of the festivities.

Edited: 17 September 2012, 00:44
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New years eve 2012

There are not too many lounges with a view of the times square festivities. There is the masquerade ball at "the view" in the Marriott marquis, and the "R lounge" in the renisance hotel. Both will be expensive parties. There are chain restaurants like bubba gumps and spbaros that have parties with views, but you have to call those locations directly.

For flights www.kayak.uk

For hotels try the"Night" hotel for times square area or affinia 50 of you want more room. Do a hotel search on this sight and see who has a good cancel able rate for your dates.

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited: 17 September 2012, 01:46
6. Re: New years eve 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:17