We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

Have our flights booked for late May 2013 and thinking of staying at two different hotels -a value hotel eg Chelsea Pines for first half so we can run around and see the sites.For second half like the idea of a boutique hotel in a more residential neighbourhood eg Nolitan where we can slow the pace and soak up the food, drink, shopping etc. Seem to remember a number of posts which advise against this but would love opinions from members who have switched hotels/neighbourhoods. Thank you in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

We stayed for 13 nights last September. We broke up our stay and stayed 8 nights in one location and 5 nights in another. In between, we travelled to DC for 3 nights. Worked fine for us so I don't think you'd have a problem. I think people that advise against it only say that for shorter stays. If you're staying for 7-8 nights or more then it can work well.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

I stayed for 14 nights in 2010 and switched hotels. I'm planning another 10 nights next May and will switch hotels again then.

I think for a long stay it's fine to do!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

If I'm staying 7 nights, I normally split my stay. I however look at places like Tribeca / Soho to start wtih and then Brooklyn (Williamsburg) for the second half, or vice versa.

M

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

I stayed the first half of my time in NYC at the Chelsea Pines you mentioned, then moved to the Upper West Side. Both neighbourhoods were great but different. I recommend it to get a varied aspect on the city. Have fun!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

While the 2 hotels you mention are different, not sure their respective areas are different enough to warrant a move nor is the Chelsea Pines that budget-y or the Nolitan that upper end.

http://goo.gl/maps/0eWfV

Chelsea Pines is in a pretty happening area but is in a small building more like an inn or b & b. The Nolitan while a bonafide hotel is still pretty small with very small rooms.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

Bottom line, do it if you want, but imo, these 2 are not enough of a contrast either in location or amenities. Just my 2 cents.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

I recently stayed 3 nights at the Verve (Long Island City) then 3 nights at the Helmsley soon to be Westin Grand Central then stayed with relatives for the last 3 nights. I got great rates for both places and had no issue with the move. I was ready for a change after 3 nights but maybe that's just me.

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Nywhiz I looked more closely at the hotels locations and I see your point so I will start looking for a value hotel somewhere closer to Central Park instead of Chelsea Pines ( although I really love the sound of CPs!!)

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

On our first trip we stayed 11 nights in the same hotel in Chelsea. It was fine but we wanted to see more of the city, so on our second trip we split it between Affinia Manhattan across the road from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and the Nu Hotel in Brooklyn. They were completely different experiences in completely different neighbourhoods. Half of me wishes we'd stayed at the Manhattan the whole time, but that's only because I absolutely loved our room there - otherwise I'd say go for the split but make sure the neighbourhoods you stay in are pretty different, otherwise what's the point?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

If you like the Chelsea Pines, don't give that up! If the price is what you'd consider your budget option, just find something either much further downtown in Tribeca or maybe in Brooklyn or something in midtown near the park of the upper east or west sides as your other hotel.

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Switch hotels/hoods mid 12 night stay. Have you? Should we?

Cannot believe I had never stumbled across oyster.com. What a fabulous resource. Thanks a lot Nywhiz, now I'm late for work!