We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

I came across Carmine's and would like to know if it is to much for 2 people do they offer half portions.

Has anyone been to both Carmine's and Joanne's to give me a comparison.

Here are a few other spots that are on my list... Please feel free to make some suggestions.

John's Pizza on Bleeker

Molly's Cupcake

Crumbs Bakery in Brooklyn

Good Enough to Eat for Brunch

Eataly

Shake Shack

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,055 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

At Carmine's, you can get one entree and share and not be able to eat it all. To my knowledge, they don't do half-portions, so you would need to share the same entree. I don't know that it is physically possible for one person to eat one entree. They are huge!

John's on Bleecker is great!!

Shake Shack was just OK for me. Didn't live up to the hype and expectations. On the same trip that I tried it, I also went to the Burger Joint off the lobby of the Le Parker Meridien hotel and loved it. Great burger and atmosphere.

kansas
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

My friend and I ate at Carmine's and shared one entree and could only eat half of it. Good food and atmosphere. We are going back in Oct.

teesside
Level Contributor
289 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

My friend and I ate here in 2004 and thought the food was lovely but huge portions. They said family style but we didn't realise what this meant!!! We soon found out!!! After ordering 2 main meals which came on huge platters! My friend had 19 lamb cutlets and I had enough pasta to feed a small army!! ;) 1 main meal deffo serves more than 2! The staff are great and offered us a doggy bag without having to ask for one! We found a hungry homeless man just couple blocks away who was very grateful for the leftovers which were still hot!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

I would not eat at Carmines with fewer than three other people.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

carmine's is better for groups but just order appropriately for two.

john's pizza on bleecker is ok. crust is always burnt when i've gone. like the one in times square better.

molly's cupcakes is good. not from NYC originally tho.

crumbs is over-rated. better cupcakes out there.

good enough to eat is just that..or actually mediocre. near there jacob's pickles is an option, barney's greengrass, sugar&plumm.

eataly is fun to check out. original shake shack is across the street. shake shack is a tasty, simple burger. fits in the hand well and easy to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Middletown, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

Carmine's is best with a group since their meals are served family style. You could order the chicken and pasta dish all in one which is not on the menu but available at all times . You may still have some left over but no where near as much if your ordered a chicken dish and a pasta dish. Eataly is a fabulous Italian experience in the heart of NYC. You can purchase a glass of wine and browse the entire marketplace. I would then suggest you order a pizza and a pasta dish at the pizza restaurant in the back. Pizza tastes just the way they make it in Italy. You will thoroughly enjoy the experience.

Mentioned in this post
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

We like to stop here after the theatre and sit at the bar. We order the hot antipasto platter with the two of us. A variety of items. Busy place and always enjoy ourselves.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

My husband and I love Carmines with a group but have eaten there just the two of us as well. We ordered a Caesar salad (HUGE!) and the Mussels which was still too much food but it was a great value and delicious!

Oh and +1 on Crumbs being overrated. Dry, dense cupcakes.

Green Bay
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

We ate at Carmine's last year with 5 people and ordered 2 entrees and it was plenty. It is delicous. Enjoy....... We had an awsome waiter so it was very enjoyable. Make reservations or it will be a longgggg wait.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts about Carmine's and a few other restaurants

I have friends who just went to Carmines a couple of days ago, for lunch,against my advise as I think the food is mediocre. They each had two helpings, took a doggy bag and ate the rest for dinner. Spaghetti and sausage for lunch and dinner..there are so many other restaurants with great food..To me, Carmines is if you're trying to feed a family ,cheaply