We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas lights being turned on?

Cambridge
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas lights being turned on?

Hello,

Does anyone know when the Christmas lights get turned on, and the best places to see them?

We arrive 29th November and leave on the 4th December.

I'd also be grateful to hear about any unusual or romantic things to do in December that may not be in the tour books?

We only have 5 days but I'd like to experience some of the real new York as well as hitting the tourist spots!

Thanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

I'm not sure what Christmas lights you mean? The tree at Rockefeller Center gets turned on Nov. 28 I believe.

Have fun!

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

There isn't one switch that turns them all on, and there isn't a date that is set to have them on. Stores will have their window displays up by Thanksgiving, so you are good there. The tree at Rockefeller Center is usually turned on the week after Thanksgiving, so you are good there. There are also tours through residential areas that have lots of decorations. Search the forum for "Dyker Heights" or "Christmas light tours" to see past discussions and links to tours.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

The huge department store window displays will be unveiled the day after Thanksgiving (T-Day is Nov 22 this year). Most other commercial lights should get going that weekend, including lighting on trees along the streets in certain areas. Some Christmas trees with big tree lighting ceremonies will happen a little later, but most should all be lit by the end of your trip.

Private properties with light displays will vary as to when they set up, but many will be set up early.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

Thanks for these, so they will be on when we get there already.

Any suggestions for places to visit/things to do at Christmas time that may not be in the tour guides?

Thanks again! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

On the other end of the spectrum, when do the light get turned off?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

I am also curious about Agents question. I don't think a trip to NYC is in the cards for me for a long time unless its between Jan-March since I am going to be overseas (and broke) all summer. However, if I'm braving the cold, I want to see some lights! Any ideas?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

Don't most places take down Christmas stuff the first week of January?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

And to help out Shell so I am not completely hijacking this thread:

You can check out the Radio City Christmas Spectacular with the famous Rockette dancers.

There will be a few Christmas themed Broadway shows such as Elf.

Ice skaing in the Rockefeller Center (the one you see on TV), Central Park, and Bryant Park.

Here is a map of a good route to take to see the most outrageous windows. Some of them are truly wild and spectacular. …about.com/od/…bl_xmaswindows.htm

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

"However, if I'm braving the cold, I want to see some lights! Any ideas?"

You are out of luck in January.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas lights being turned on?

I figured. I guess I better be satisfied with our Christmas decorations in the parlor. Thanks Bill!