We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best value location to stay in NYC

Cambridge
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best value location to stay in NYC

Hi,

We are planning our honeymoon to NYC.

We'd like to do all of the tourist things, but I like the idea of staying in an area a little less touristy! Somewhere we could grab the subway easily to all the attractions.

Our budget per night is about €350. We arrive 29th Nov and leave 4th Dec..

Also we may be going to the African Childrens Choir gala on the 3rd December which is being held at 155 Varick St New York NY 10013-1106 US.

An option would be to stay 4 nights in a nice hotel and then in a cheaper holiday inn style hotel on this night nearer the venue.

Any help is much appreciated as I don't know where to start.

Thank you in advance!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

The best value neighborhood is Long Island City. That's where you will get nice hotels at inexpensive prices with easy subway access to Midtown. Search for hotels in Long Island City and look for places within two or three blocks of the subway stations there.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

There are also some good values to be found on the outskirts of Park Slope. Check out the Super 8 on Third Ave and President or the Holiday Inn Express on Union Street. Both are quite near the R train, and are one station away from Atlantic Terminal where you can transfer to lots of lines.

Best of all, you are just a few minute walk from Brooklyn's Fifth Avenue, which is known for its shopping, dining and pubs. You are right down the hill from Prospect Park, The Botanic Gardens and the Brooklyn Museum. You are one stop away from BAM. Most of all, you are located in a great neighborhood that is both fun and safe to walk around at all hours of the day.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

I have reservations next month at the Courtyard Soho, which is on Varick. It gets good reviews and was recommended by one of the experts on this forum. I don't know if it fits into your budget but you can look it up and decide that for yourself.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,440 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

OK ... if my math is right, 350pounds = $566.

Nov 29 - Dec 4 is 5 nights. That's $113. Since tax adds about 15% to a hotel room, you are looking at an advertised rate of approx $99/night. This is an extremely low budget for late Nov / early December and totally unrealistic for that last night in Soho.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably need to raise your budget. And please do the currency conversion for us, many people will not answer your question because they don't know what 350pounds buys.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

The OP said their budget was 350 Euros per night. That will get you a very good hotel! It will get you an even better one if it's 350 Pounds per night!

Stamford...
Level Contributor
802 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

I think they said 350 *per night* which sounds like plenty. Confused me because people talking about looking for the best value usually have a much lower budget.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

For that budget, and with what you say you want, I would look at one of the nicer hotels on the Upper West Side. It is more of a nieghborhood, lots of interesting places to eat, and great subway access.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,972 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

As mentioned above, the best value locations are outside Manhattan in nearby areas of Queens (Long Island city) and Brooklyn (Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights and Downtown Brooklyn) within a short walk to a subway. You can see how close any hotel is to a subway by mapping it on

maps.google.com

and then looking for the small blue "m" which means a subway station.

But with the budget you have, you don't really need to stay outside Manhattan if you don't want to and in all fairness, the hotels in Long Island City can be best described as clean and serviceable. None are particularly swank although the Verve and the Vetiver are pretty nice. There are some very nice hotels now in Brooklyn but again, with that budget, unless you want to spend a lot less, for a first visit you can really stay in Manhattan. I also don't see the need or the sense of moving hotels for the last night. That night on it's own becomes more expensive than staying in one place for the whole visit so you don't really save money but may wind up spending more.

The way to proceed

1) Convert your budget into dollars which is the currency used here and by all the hotels you will consider.

Then multiply by .85 to get the approximate budget you have before taxes are added since most websites and hotels will first give you a nightly amount without taxes. By my calculations that's $385

2) Go to a hotel search engine and see which hotels fit that budget. I like

kayak.com

which searches lots of different sites and

quikbook.com

which has a lot of the smaller hotels as well as some of the bigger ones.

Eliminate locations near any of the airports and those in New Jersey

On kayak you can set the maximum nightly budget and select how many stars you want and areas. I usually start at the top of the budget (under sort by at the top right, I use high to low)

3) Make a list of the hotels that fit your budget and the nightly rates and the booking sites they're on (kayak uses prices from a lot of different sites)

4) Look at reviews on Tripadvisor, look to see if there are photos on oyster.com

perhaps plot the ones that interest you on a map.

I can tell you that despite the fact that you're coming at a very pricey time, your budget will allow you a very nice hotel for the whole stay.

The Mondrian Soho, the Standard East Village, the Thompson LES, the Hotel on Rivington and the Nolitan are all nicer trendy boutique hotels in the downtown areas of Soho, the east village and the lower east side. They're all at the top end of your budget looking on kayak.com

If you prefer being economical, the Hampton Inn Soho, the Best Western Bowery Hanbee and the Mulberry are all good downtown hotels that are less expensive and I believe all of these also come with a free continental breakfast.

These areas are less touristy than midtown, where most first time tourists stay, but they won't be without tourists, especially at that time of year since they do have hotels, Soho in particular has become a serious shopping mecca and the east village has some of the best restaurants in the city.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,972 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

Btw, I agree with GWB that the upper west side is a nice area and more of a residential area but the nicest hotel there, the Beacon, seems to be booked for rooms that would fall in your budget on those dates. The other hotels in the area while perfectly nice, are not, imo, honeymoon worthy except perhaps the Empire and 6 Columbus which are closer to midtown.

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Best value location to stay in NYC

Hello, for that budget i would recommend Downtown area, you can get a great hotel & also easily accessible by subway. At this budget you can get in to Millennium Hilton, The Ritz Carlton Battery Park.