We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Bus Trip to NYC

pittsburgh, pa
12 posts
Save Topic
One Day Bus Trip to NYC

My mom and I are taking a bus trip to NYC on Nov. 3. We are being dropped off at 8:30 in Times Square and picked up at 8:30pm. I need help with a couple of things.

1) I would LOVE to see Wicked while we are in NY. My concern is how to get to the Gershwin Theater from Times Square. Are we able to walk to teh theater? If not, taxi or subway? Any suggestions on the best seats at Gershwin?

2) We are mainly going to be shopping and site seeing by foot. Any suggestions on "must see" places?

3) Any restaurant suggestions? We are looking for restaurants that are priced between $10-$15 per person! Any type of cuisine!

Thanks in advance for any tips!!! Anything else you can suggest would be GREAT!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Bus Trip to NYC

(1) Yes, you can walk there (barring any mobility problems)

(3) Try the Cosmic Diner 8th & 52nd or any diner/coffee shop place except not Ellen's Stardust Diner.

I'm not saying the Cosmic is the best or most authentic or anything at all but its in the are you 'll be in. Don't be like me and go after pancakes are off the menu.

There are lots of small chainy lunchy places if you like healthier food - Le Pain Quotidien (e.g. 50th between 6and 7th), Mangia Organics (39th between 5th and 6th near Bryant Park, Pret a Manger on your way west of the theatres towards the shops on 5th Ave.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Bus Trip to NYC

1) The first thing you need to know is that weekend is one of the busiest of the year. Sunday, Nov. 4 is the NYC Marathon with thousands of people coming to NYC to participate and watch.

The Gershwin theater is easily walkable from Times Square. Go to

maps.google.com

and type at the top

Times Square NYC to Gershwin theater NYC and you'll get a driving map. If you click on the person icon, you'll see the estimated time to walk it.

I'm surprised to see plenty of seats available for that performance so it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for them. The closer to the center of the theater, the better.

ticketmaster.com

is the official seller.

2) Assuming you get tickets for the show, you have about 5 hrs. in the morning before the show and then 3 hrs. after the show. Only you can decide how you want to apportion your time between shopping and sightseeing. We don't know if you've been here before, what you're shopping for or even how old you are to guide you about stores.

3) $10-15 for an entree is easy. $10-15 for an entire meal is more difficult. Toloache is a popular Mexican bistro near the Gershwin theater. If you share some things, you should be able to stay within your budget.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/toloache/menu

If you like Thai food, Tom & Toon is also near the theater and has some inexpensive lunch specials.

menupages.com/restaurants/…menu

If I were planning this day, assuming you get the theater tickets, I'd take a filling breakfast on the bus with you and plan to sightsee and shop in the morning before the theater, stopping briefly to grab a slice of pizza before the show. Then I'd plan (and book) a nice dinner after the show before heading home.

Maybe go to Top of the Rock when you first get here since most stores don't open that early. Then it really depends on what shopping you want to do as to where to go next. I also wouldn't limit yourselves to walking. The subway is fast and easy if what you want/need is not right nearby. So what do you want to shop for?

pittsburgh, pa
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Bus Trip to NYC

Thank you for the advice! I was in NY in 2000 for a high school field trip. My mom has never been to NY. We are both very excited for the trip. I am not sure what we will be shopping for. I have a 2yr old son so I am sure I will want to find a toy store or something so I can bring him a gift back home! I did get tickets for Wicked!!! I just bought them! We have never had to do public transportation since we live in a very small town. The subway is something we would consider if we needed to. And when it comes to food-ANYTHING GOES!!!!! Very excited to get a piece of cheesecake! Any other information or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Bus Trip to NYC

Junior's is considered by many to have the best cheesecake and they have a location right off Times Square on west 44th st. They also serve breakfast, lunch and dinner so you could even start there. They open early.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/juniors-3/

Toys R Us is a block or so away. I think it's a dreadful crazy place (CROWDED), but I guess you'd want to see it. ;) A block south of there is Sephora for make up. They will do free makeovers. Maybe you and Mom should give it a try! I like Lord & Taylor for clothes shopping and that's an easy walk. Stop and have a look at Bryant Park on the way and you'll also pass the main NY Public Library. If you're looking for souvenirs, the shop in the library has some fun ones. Here's a map with those stops.

http://goo.gl/maps/evp5a

pittsburgh, pa
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Bus Trip to NYC

The Sephora idea sounds like that would be fun! Toys R Us is crazy no matter where you live-haha! Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looking on-line and reading travel books can be overwhelming. Thanks for taking the time to give me some insider info!!!

6. Re: One Day Bus Trip to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:17