We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

Hi,

as part of a tour of Canada (tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g153339-i49-k56…)

the best combination of flights takes us through New York.

At this stage we will have 4 1/2 days in New York with our three year old son and were thinking of the following:

Day 1 - check out Central Park and just generally get a feel for New York, have a get over the travel day.

Day 2 - Visit the Natural History Musuem

Day 3 - Visit the Bronx Zoo

Day 4 - Take a cruise around Liberty Island, visit the Aquarium

Day 5 - Not sure what for this day as we can fly to Toronto at any stage during the day.

Any thoughts on what else we could do / should do would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

In the Times Square Toys "r" us there is a free ferris wheel for young children.

The petting zoo in Central Park is nice too.

You may like lunch at the Central Park Boat House

This web site (linked below) is also a great resource for kid friendly events in NYC-

http://timeoutnewyorkkids.com/

Also here is a list of typical must sees-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Happy planning and (most importantly)have fun!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

The children's museum is right near Natural History www.cmom.org

The Aquarium is between Brighton Beach and Coney Island so you will see some ocean. There tons of interesting playgrounds and community gardens hiding in plain sight -- Do visit one or more of the carousels - Central Park, Bryant Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park (best views for your cameras).

To get a sense of the landscape photography possibilities in NYC, click on the Joel Meyerowitz link to the book Legacy: in this post.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2011/09/sept-11-2011…

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

On last thing, when you are visiting folks in Phoenix, make sure you visit the Musical Instrument Museum. It is a treasure in the middle of the desert and it is indoors and air conditioned.

http://www.themim.org/visit and if they are selling butternut squash scones in the cafe have one for me.

It may or may not be too hot for a visit to Taliesin.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,728 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

With a short time in NYC, your focus seems to be on major tourist destinations that will take the better part of a day, but you haven't allowed time to really explore the city and its various neighborhoods.

I'd suggest eliminating the trip to the Bronx Zoo (but do visit Central Park Zoo) and do more neighborhood exploration.

For suggestions of what to do, what are your interests? Take a look at the NYC things to do, and the Top Questions section (to the right) for a sense of the range of things that might interest you. Your toddler will have enjoyable moments with whatever you do, but is too young to be the basis of your entire itinerary.

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

My kids when they were young enjoyed the zoo very much but you really need a stroller and be mindful if it is hot. But it is a world class zoo. Much of the natural history museum will be beyond a three year old.. though the aquarium section will be fun. Of course FAO Schwartz toy store though it is not as magical today is still worth a visit.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

The ferris wheel in Toys R Us is not free - $4/person to ride. I wouldn't suggest it, though. Times Square is loud and crowded and can be overwhelming for little kids.

sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, planning is still progressing but certain things may mean a change to next year instead.

Either way we have decided to spend about 12 days as we are going to focus on the east coast as part of this trip. I guess it opens up our options for sightseeing quite a bit more?

Cheers

Aaron

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

Visit Greenwich Village and spend some time letting your son loose at the Bleecker Street Playground. Or visit Union Square, there's a Farmer's Market a few days a week and a great playground for the kids. Washington Square Park and listen to the piano player before going down to SOHO.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

In my experience as a mum of boys , you can not go past Firetrucks , Firezone in Rockefeller Centre is great , they have a mini fire truck for kids to climb on complete with radio calls, mini firemans coats to put on and real firemen to talk too , (the fireshow may be a bit to scary for a 3 year old though, it is aimed at more kinder / school aged kids ) .

http://www.fdnyfirezone.org/

Also just around the corner is the Lego store , where you can take a bucket and fill it with your choice of lego for one set price

…lego.com/en-us/stores/us/rockefeller-center/

sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 or 5 days in New York with a 3 year old

Thanks WEQueen and ree-nyc,

will look into those places, the trouble we are having with NYC is that there is so much to do!!!!!