We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

Hello, everybody's posts have been invaluable at organising my 40th birthday trip with hubby to NYC. This is currently our work in progress timetable.

Sat - Arrive at hotel near Times Square by 4pm.

Subway to Staten Island ferry

Take hundreds of photos whilst staring gaping mouthed at everything on ferry.

Walk via South St Seaport (just to wander, no stopping as such) to Brooklyn Bridge and over it and back.

Wander to Chinatown for something to eat if not eaten in Brooklyn.

Subway back and sleep.

Sunday -( have Newyork pass for 2 days)

2 hour circle line cruise.

Intrepid air, sea, space (gotta keep hubby happy!)

Top of the rock while light but hoping to catch sunset if weather permits.

Monday - Subway to Battery park.

Cruise to Liberty/Ellis Island, visit the Immigration centre.

Visit Wall Street, pay respects at WTC.

ESB at night, maybe Madame Tussauds as we will get in free anyway, bit of Times Square shopping for the kids.

Tuesday - Have 11am tickets for Columbus Circle art installation.

Visit Central Park/ Ice skating (or is Ice Skating at Rockerfeller Centre recommended if open by then??)

7pm Evita show.

Weds -

St Patricks cathedral

Grand central terminal

NY Public Library

Leave at 3.30pm for LIRR & Skytrain back to JFK

Would love to squeeze in a walk round Greenwich Village or SoHo but unsure as to whether time will permit.

Hoping to visit a few shops too, (loving google maps as so handy to work out how close places are in relation to each other)

Any thoughts much appreciated. Sorry to all you New Yorkers if its too touristy, I come from London and do appreciate that people visiting will want to visit certain things not necessarily what the locals would choose!

Thanks for reading

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

The South Street Seaport is not in between the ferry and the bridge, and there isn't much to see other than stores, especially after dark. I would skip it entirely. I would also think about taking the subway to Brooklyn and walking back instead of walking in both directions, which seems too tiring and repetitive to me, especially if you want to head to Chinatown afterwards.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
285 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

I'm not sure why you're taking the Staten Island Ferry if you're doing the circle line cruise the next day and also the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island the following day. I don't think you'll see anything more on the Staten Island Ferry than you will on the others.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

Thanks both of you, this is exactly why I needed another pair of eyes reading this. Completely valid points all round, 3 boats going similar places, definately unneccesary! I seem to have free time now my first day!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

I agree with Teeter21 you don't need to do the Staten Island Ferry if you are doing the circle line and liberty and Ellis island. Take the time to do something else. Also agree with BB - take the subway and walk back.

For the first night when you have a big time difference (assuming you are flying from UK) then maybe get the subway to Brooklyn, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and then eat at Chinatown is enough. You could always take a subway train to grand central and have a look around there if you still feel like it then walk back from there or take the shuttle back over to Times Square.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

I agree about not doing Staten Island ferry if you're doing the others. Also agree about taking subway to Brooklyn and walking back over the bridge. Perhaps you could explore the Village on the day you arrive before heading to Brooklyn?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

I love ferries but you only have four days and I'm thinking you might enjoy some time on land.

Are you planning to purchase unlimited ride MetroCards? 7 days for $29. per person.

Coming in from JFK Airport on Saturday, the LIRR offers something called "CityTicket" and it is $3.75 per person for the quick ride into Penn Station from Jamaica. There are two or three relatively new machines at Jamaica (they're greenish in color with railroad tracks running alongside them - they definitely look different from all the other machines) - these sell combined JFK AirTrain / LIRR tickets. You just need to select "CityTicket" from the list of options. $8.75 per ticket and it covers you. Hold on to the ticket and hand it to the conductor on the train. The LIRR is super fast and frequent and it affords some nice views of the skyline as it makes a series of s curves to get into the East River Tunnel.

Times Square is a short walk or one stop on the subway from Penn Station.

Why not jump on the downtown and Brooklyn bound 2 or 3 trains at Times Square and get off the train at the first stop in Brooklyn - Clark Street station. Walk over to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and snap some pictures of the skyline there. Easy to get on the bridge from there - walk across.

Unless you have your heart set on dinner in Chinatown, maybe you jump on the Uptown 6 at the Brooklyn Bridge station in Manhattan (or the Uptown R train at City Hall station) and head up to Greenwich Village for dinner. Maybe make reservations at Mario Batali's Otto. The energy and buzz at Otto will definitely help you stay awake on your first evening. Following Otto you can walk west on 8th Street and pick up the most sinful warm chocolate chip cookies at the to die for Insomnia Cookies on West 8th Street.

There is an entrance to the West 4th Street subway station on 6th Avenue between Staples and Duane Reade. You can take any uptown train to 42nd Street and walk back to your hotel through Times Square.

London, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

Ice skating at the Rockefeller opens on the 13th October.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

Wow, I really appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond so helpfully, thanks Vicki M, now I need to decide where to skate!!

MoreFFmiles, thanks so much, even down to what the ticket machines look like at Jamaica! Thats brill, the kind of detail I appreciate, my husband was positively dribbling at the sound of Insomnia Cookies!

Now to fit in the shops my daughter is wanting me to visit....!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

If you decide to skate in Rock Center, be aware that if its crowded the ice gets really bad really fast so you want to get started as soon as the zamboni is finished. It's a small rink and doesn't get much sun since its actually a few stories below street level. But all around you are those magnificent buildings, and think of all the vacation pictures you will be in! And you're skating in Rock Center!

If you decide on Wollman Rink in Central Park, it can be crowded with school groups during the day, but is usually less crowded at night. It is surrounded by the park, but you see the skyscrapers beyond, and it's magical!

10. Re: Yet another newbies proposed itinerary, 4 nights mid October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 13:17