We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 nts-where to stay

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
17 nts-where to stay

My DH and I will be in NYC in september 14-30 next year and i have no idea where to stay,we want to stay in a hotel not an apartment as i dont want to take the risk of being ripped off.

Im not sure if we would be better off stay out of Manhattan(eg Brooklyn,LIC).

Have a budget of $6000 including all taxes ect,would prefer not to have to spend that much but thats the most i want to spend ,this is why im think staying out of the city to save money(more for shopping) but will that be a pain travelling in everyday and the cost of transport and the time.

if i was to stay out of the city where would be good i dont know anything about other places whats safe ,what doesnt take to long to get to Manhattan ect, and still have places round to have dinner ect.

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks heaps

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 nts-where to stay

The Affinia Shelburne has a Studio Deluxe for $338 per night for those dates (total of around $5400). This is a good location on Lexington at 37th Street. And the "Deluxe" rooms have a small kitchenette which is convenient for a longer stay.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 nts-where to stay

With that amount of time you might want to split your stay between Manhattan and another area such as Brooklyn or Long Island City.

If you'd prefer to stay in Manhattan and the same hotel for the whole time, look at suite-hotels with more room and a kitchen/kitchenette.

The ones that come to mind immediately are:

Beacon Hotel.

Affinia properties (www.affinia.com)

Best Western Hospitality House.

There are a few others.

You're wayyyyy to early to see good rates for Sept next year though (they'll be rack rates) but $6000 over 17 nights is $350ish per night with taxes which should be doable.

Edited: 26 September 2012, 10:56
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 nts-where to stay

thanks for the suggestion will have a look at them.

when would i start to see good rates for september next year?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 nts-where to stay

Sept. is an extremely expensive and busy time. Don't expect any bargains. Typically we advise people to wait til closer to their trip to book, but in your case, I wouldn't. The UN General assembly starts sessions about the time you arrive bringing lots of dignitaries (and some traffic gridlock).

First, I think you have to decide if you want to stay in the same place or split the trip between 2 or more locations. I also think with that much time, you might want to take a few side trips whether to nearby cities like Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, DC or just a weekend here or there in a country setting. If you plan this in advance, you can perhaps avoid paying for a hotel room in NYC that you won't be using.

The London agency

Www.apartments2book.com

Has contracts with a lot of the legal apt/hotels and often can get better pricing than you might on your own. I think you will have a problem getting pricing for those dates online now anyway since the end of your stay is more than a year away. Give some thought to these issues and perhaps come back and tell us what things are important to you in a hotel/location. There's no one best location/answer for everyone.

5. Re: 17 nts-where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 14:17