We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December visitors what have you booked/planned?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
269 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Hi everyone :)

I wrote a post out and it vanished into cyber space.

To make the long post short I just wanted to know what everyone who is visiting New York at christmas has planned and booked so far?

Just want to see if there is anything i am missing or did not know about.

I'm in the process of trying to come up with an itinerary.

I will be visiting from 22nd december till the 29th December.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
618 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Will be there in early Dec with my DH and 3 kids.

I've booked:

Rockettes Christmas Show

Statue of Liberty tickets

American Girl brunch and personal shopper (for my girls)

We also hope to do ESB, AMNH and Central Park, plus a bit of shopping for myself :)

Can't wait!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Hi

We are coming in early December and have booked:

The Nutcracker Ballet

Sleep No More

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (you can now get tickets into the crown)

WTC memorial.

We also have our tickets for The Empire State Building as they are open but not for the top of the rock. We will probably book a show through Broadway Box when discounts become available for December.I am so excited first time to New York, counting down the days :)

Edited: 02 October 2012, 05:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Oh and we have also applied for a big apple greeter. We will also just walk around different neighbourhoods, walk Brooklyn Bridge etc

And shop of course lol

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Arriving on the 16th for a month. We were in NYC at Christmas-New Year 2008-09. So far in December we've booked:

- Annie Ross concert

- Michael Feinstein concert

- The Moth

- A day to Philadelphia to see the Barnes Foundation

- Kramer tour

- Lunch at the Leopard on Christmas Day

Am contemplating a Bike the Big Apple bike ride around Brooklyn (as recommended by Canadian Wilderness in his wonderful trip report...which is stuck at Day 2...rats)

- Will go up the ESB again (with an express pass ticket to avoid the very long queues)

- am contemplating whether to go to the Rockettes on Christmas Eve again...it was great, but I don't know whether I need to do it again

- want to go to a basketball game at Madison Square Gardens ...but am still working out how to buy tickets ...I can't seem to buy tickets via either Ticketmaster or Stubhub with a non-USA/Canada ISP address

- am waiting to buy tickets to the Tenement Museum, including a tour (not available yet)

- Will return to Grand Central Station (inc The Oyster Bar and maybe a tour and the Christmas Market)

- Will return to NYC Library

- Will go to see the lights at Dyker Heights in Brooklyn, but plan to do this via subway and walking and not an organised tour.

- planning a few trips to the theatre ...waiting on reviews for 'Grace' (begins Oct 4), 'Golden Age' (begins Nov 13 in previews), 'Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike' (begins late October) and the revival of 'The Heiress'.

Restaurants: keen to go to Robert and Blue Water Grill and The River based on comments here. Will try to get into Per Se for my 50th birthday in January.

We've got lots of other recommendations from this wonderful Forum about other eating places and will incorporate visits to them (eg the famous NYC delis and Junior) on self guided walking trips we're thinking of doing around the various neighborhoods (Chelsea and the Meat Packing District, Upper West Side and Upper East Side, neighborhoods in Brooklyn)

We've bought memberships to The Met, the MOMA and the Guggenheim so we can pop in and out. We will see the Frick Collection and the new Whitney Museum near the High Line and we might go to Dia: Beacon.

We'll visit the 9/11 Memorial and am excited about visiting the High Line...neither were open when we went to NYC last time. I don't think we'll go to SoL and Ellis Island again, but loved it last time and would recommend a visit to both islands if you haven't been before.

Can't wait to see the Christmas decorations - particularly those along 5th Avenue (Bergdorf Goodmans' were to die for in 2008)

And am looking forward to seeing Central Park. We were lucky enough to see snow there when we arrived a few days before Christmas 2008, I wonder if that will happen again given it doesn't seem it's a usual occurrence.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 06:00
Sweden
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

I'll be there Dec 22 - Dec 29.

I've booked:

SOL / Ellis Island

9/11 memorial

I've applied for a Big Apple Greeter, hope I get one.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Lots of shows for me. I have never been too keen on the Rocketts but after doing a backstage tour of Radio City last time I think I will really enjoy the Rocketts. Definitely book the Statue of Liberty tour with Crown access now and any show you are keen on seeing as demand will be big for your dates so not worth risking waiting for discounts and maybe missing out. JennyR261 has got some great stuff and the Kramer tour is absolutely brilliant if you love Seinfeld. But why wait for reviews of shows Jenny? Often the critics pan shows that paying audiences love. I have no problem with Ticketmaster either so make sure you are registered with them and maybe delete cookies on your computer before trying again.

kiwigal make sure you have lots of free daytime to just do whatever. You are going at such a magical time of year and will have a ball. I can't wait to get back to Hale and Hearty which I was recommended by a TA'er when planning my first visit. Google them to see their menu. Spectacular soups which are just perfect on those winter days. Soup and sandwich combo for me. Happy planning.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

If you have a look at my posts you see my itinerary which I have planned and also info about what I have booked. Hope this helps!

Moville, Ireland
Level Contributor
296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Going from Dec 6th until Dec 12th, have booked

- Rockettes tickets

- Booking basketball tickets today @5 when they go on sale (if ticketmaster lets me)

- booking WTC tickets this week aswell

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

Going 2nd -6th Dec, so far got tickets for Christmas Spectacular and Book or Mormon.

2nd trip and not planned much so far, but want to go on the Roosevelt Island Tram, walk the Highline and spend more time in Central Park. There are a couple of restaurants/bars etc we know we want to visit and of course well go see the tree and see all the Christmas displays.

So excited!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: December visitors what have you booked/planned?

This is our 10th annual girls trip so we have done a lot in our previous trips. This is not our complete itinerary and we usually change it once we are there, but it's nice to have a starting point. We will be there from Dec. 12-17

The night we arrive we will have dinner at Cici, as usual. It's our favorite restaurant for 10 years now (well, it used to be Ciro's but it changed to Cici's).

Then next day we always start our first full day in NYC with Pumpkin Martini's at Rock Center Cafe Bar followed by a trip to the AG Place (we usually walk around a bit first, maybe grab a really light breakfast so we can get to a suitable hour for martini's :). My mom started my DD's doll collection 10 years ago on our first trip. She know has 24 AG dolls, thanks to me getting grandmpa a bit tipsy before our shoppping spree ;) I am afraid this will be the last year we do this though as my DD is outgrowing the dolls :( Then we are touring Brooklyn Heights, dinner at Henry's End followed by the Dyker Street lights on our own. We will end with dessert and coffee/baileys at Veniero's.

Friday we will start at Alice's Tea Cup Chapter III, then The Cloisters, The Met, wine at the Petri Wine Bar at The Met, dinner at Robert

Saturday we have SOL Crown tickets. We have been to SOL but now the crown. We won't do Ellis Island as we've already done that. Lunch is at Florencia 13 in Greenwich Village, Eataly, then dinner at Cici's (yes, again!)

Sunday we have brunch at The Boat House, reservations for A Christmas Story and dinner at Joe Allen.