We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flight

Sweden
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic flight

Hi!

I was just wondering how far in advance you need to be at the airport for a domestic flight with just carry on luggage?

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic flight

Most airlines state two hours before for domestic flights. If I have never used an airport before, I will allow the two hours. When I feel comfortable with how they are laid out and how busy they are, I may lessen that. For example, this past Monday was my first flight from SNA (John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA), so I was there two hours early with just carry on. Turns out, I could have gotten there an hour before and not had to wait in the airport so long, but I didn't know that.

With that said, I would plan to be there two hours before. If you are late and miss your flight through fault of your own, you will have to buy another ticket. I would rather be safe and sit there than miss the flight and lose money.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic flight

I will often arrive just an hour in advance if I've checked in online, but that's if I'm not arriving at a particularly busy time. If you don't know whether it's a busy time, then allow at least an hour and a half, preferably two hours. Worst case is you get a sandwich and a magazine while you wait.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic flight

It depends on the airport and the airline.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,633 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic flight

For me it might also depend on the time of day and day of week.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic flight

Without luggage, you only need to go through security if you get your boarding pass online. You can frequently (in many cities) get there 45 minutes before the plane leaves. Look up the airport in Google. Many airports list typical, atypical and current security wait times.

Perhaps you could mention the airport and date/time of departure. 1 PM on a Tuesday in Syracuse is different from 4 PM on a Friday in Newark.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic flight

Most airline websites tell you. What airline are you flying and from which airport? (and when)

Sweden
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic flight

Wow, very different opinions on this subject,

We haven't booked anything yet, I wanted to know approximately how much time this would take. We are trying to decide if we will fly to Niagara falls, or take a bus tour. If the travelling time are much less than with bus. And it sure seems like it anyways.

Thank you!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic flight

Look at the websites of airlines that are possibilities to see how much time in advance they tell you to be there.

BTW if you plan on also going to the Canadian side--make sure you have the proper Visa ( or whatever you need) to cross to Canada.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic flight

Oh, that I can answer: the traveling time to Niagara Falls is MUCH less by air than it is by bus, even when you account for the time to get through the airport. It is absolutely worth flying.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic flight

Tough question...I think you will find it all depends on the airport and/or airline!