We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in New York

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Topic
First time in New York

Hi off to New York Nov 12 for 5 days

any hints or tips

what to see what not to bother with.

Passes or tickets that will save money

Best value helicopter rides etc

Thank you so much in advance

Ann

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in New York

Have you read any of the "top questions" on the right column of this page???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in New York

You need to be much more specific about what you are interested in seeing and doing. There are things that someone else might not bother with that you might love and vice versa.

I suggest that you start with the FAQ page on must-see sights and must-do activities:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

And that you read the FAQ page about attraction passes:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

And take a look at the trip reports (which are near the bottom of the "Top Questions" bar") to get other travelers' impressions.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
286 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in New York

My best advice is to purchase the 7 day unlimited metro card which gives you access to all the subways & buses in NY City. Personally I wouldn't waste the money buying any of the other "passes" that are offered as you will spend time running around trying to see anything & everything just to try to get your money's worth!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in New York

If you can afford a helicopter ride, why are you asking about "saving money"? There's lots more to see on the ground. This isn't the Grand Canyon, you know. The buildings look from above they way they looked before each scene on "Without a Trace" :^)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in New York

Do the 102 floor of ESB instead of the helicopter. It is cheaper, safer, your time on high is longer and the view is better.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in New York

Welcome to the Forum.

New York is so varied that what you want to see and do depends much upon your own interests. For culture vultures there is Broadway and countless museums. Foodies run around the boros sampling trendy ethnic restaurants. Architecture freaks get the AIA guidebook and walk looking up. Shoppers shop.

The other thing is that NYC is so big, and has so many options that there is no way that you will even be able to see a sliver of what there is - so there is no sense in even trying. You will run yourself ragged.

One idea is to break the city into Zones. Spend one day downtown. Visit the SOL or take the Staten Island Ferry. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Pay your respects at the Trade Center. Have lunch or dinner in Chinatown. Spend another in mid town hitting museums, stores and Central Park. Take in a show before or after dinner. Spend a day just wandering around Soho and Greenwich Village. And of course, spend a day in Brooklyn. Visit Park Slope where there is great dining and boutiquing on Fifth Ave and you can wander up to the Botanic Gardens and Prospect Park. Visit Williamsburg after dark for the nightlife. Above all, realize that the greatest of New York is often found just in walking around a neighborhood rather than by rushing from site to site.

As for your questions. I avoid the passes as much of what makes NYC tick is free. The Brooklyn Bridge, the Staten Island Ferry, Central Park and neighborhood walks come to mind. But, as was mentioned above, do get a 7 day Metro Card to get around.

I have never taken a helicopter ride, but know that they are quite expensive. I'd rather save the money and go to a great restaurant instead - but that's just me.

Above all, do the research. You know your interests better than anyone else. On the Forum, you will find that more targeted questions usually get better responses.

7. Re: First time in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 01:18