We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooftop bars in December

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rooftop bars in December

We will be in New York during the first week of December. Does anyone know of any rooftop bars that are open during the winter?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooftop bars in December

A slideshow of year-round rooftop bars:

http://bit.ly/heDLy9

Houston
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooftop bars in December

My suggestion is not really a "rooftop" bar, but we love the R Lounge in the Renaissance Hotel. I believe it is on the 2nd floor, but it is right in the heart of Times Square and overlooks all the action. We are headed to NYC today, and I can't wait to visit there!

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooftop bars in December

The Shelburn Murray has a rooftop bar (Rare Rooftop Bar). The website says its seasonal so I'm not sure if its open in December, but worth a try.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooftop bars in December

The Shelburne is not open in cold weather but the Top of the Strand at the Strand hotel is

thestrandnyc.com/cuisinebarscene/default-en.…

as is the Sky Room at the Fairfield Inn

http://skyroomnyc.com/atmosphere.php

scotland
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooftop bars in December

Hi nywhiz, is it best to book table in the strand bistro in December? Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooftop bars in December

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check them out.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rooftop bars in December

Why are you lookng for a roof top bar in the midle of winter? Is it is for smoking (and I am a smoker) ? If so, you will likely be prohibited from smoking there. NYC has gone all Nanny City on those of us who used to love to visit there.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 19:15
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rooftop bars in December

Hi Mamababoo, no im not a smoker. I was looking for nice bars that would have good views over the city

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rooftop bars in December

kdy1, the Strand Bistro is the restaurant in the Strand hotel, NOT the rooftop bar which is what we are talking about here. They happen to be on the same link I provided so not sure if you meant the rooftop or the restaurant and I see it could be confusing.

In the month of December, most any place that's popular should be booked if they take a reservation. For the rooftop, since it is one of the few that's open year round and the space that's enclosed is more limited, yes, I'd book if you can. For the bistro restaurant, since it doesn't have a view and isn't one of the well known destination places, I don't think it's necessary. But I always say, it's easier to cancel a reservation you decide not to use vs. getting a table that you didn't book. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rooftop bars in December

PS, the View lounge at the Marriot Marquis is totally enclosed, revolves and has quite good views. After 8 pm they charge $8 in addition to the cost of the drinks (which are high) but the views are great if you want a splurge. Before 8, they just have a 1 drink minimum but will also accept kids I believe before 8.

http://www.theviewnyc.com/lounge/