We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an Ipad from NY

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buying an Ipad from NY

Has anyone brought an Ipad from New York back to the UK recently? If so did you get taxed and how much? I have been looking on the Apple website and they are cheaper in the US but thinking is it worth it with airport tax added

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

yes they are quite a bit cheaper over there! but don't forget to add the 8.875% sales tax to the price quoted on the web.

i didn't declare my ipad when i got back (naughty i know, but i think they get enough out of us in taxes as it is!). I simply packed it in my cabin bag, without the packaging so it wasn't obvious but there generally isn't anybody at customs to check anyway.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

"i didn't declare my ipad when i got back"

Classy.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

chicken is advising you to smuggle the iPad and hope you don't get caught. Bad advice. I'd suggest googling for official descriptions of the traveler import process when returning to the U.K. and a description of the taxes.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

I'm sorry but given that I live in the UK and travel quite a bit I can say that I have never seen anybody actually manning the "something to declare" channel of the customs ports. Unlike the US where you have to fill in paperwork and speak to a person at customs before you leave the airport, the uk is not like that. So the reason I say not to worry about declaring it is because there never actually seems to be anybody to declare it to!

It's a sham, but as a traveller it's not my problem

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

I would carefully research the price difference.

When we were in New York we didn't find that much of a price difference on ipods and ipads compared to the UK - and certainly not enough to waive away our consumer rights/guarantee etc.

The Apple shop in New York has ipads "starting at $499". That's about £315 using a typical bank currency conversion rate. Then you'll need to add on between 3% and 5% for the fees UK card companies/banks add on. So now you're up to £325 for an ipad that John Lewis would sell you for £399.

OK, it's a £75 saving but that's not massive - may be enough for some, for us just wasn't worth the hassle of visiting the shop, buying, and then carrying around.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,817 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

And don't forget the 8.875% sales tax in NYC.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

Ah forgot about that - so the sales tax added onto sale price + the UK bank currency charges means you'll save - what - £35? And of course you'll lose all your sale of goods rights when you are back in the UK as it wasn't bought there.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

I think it was about an £80 price difference i noticed, when I bought mine. But I didn't plan on buying it while i was there specifically, it was an impulse buy whilst in the apple store. They may have reduced the price gap since the new iPad was released.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

If its over £390 you should declare it. After that, then 20% VAT is added. Luckily there is no duty.

Regardless of whether the UK gets enough taxes, and whether there is anyone man in the nothing to declare (see them mirrored windows, they're watching you from there!), its still illegal not to declare.

M

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying an Ipad from NY

Wow...amazing how many honest people there are on this forum. Surprising too!