We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on hats?

brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice on hats?

I'll be in NY in a week. So excited, can't wait, but thats not the point of this question.

I have a method of packing where I pack from the shoes and moves upwards so it all went pretty smooth until I got to my head. I instinctively reached for my hat bag where my half dozen baseball style caps are kept, and my subconscious wacked me with some advice on NY that I must have heard somewhere and that is "don't look like a tourist or you might get mugged" and "baseball caps make you look like a tourist".

Aside from getting mugged which is something I don;t want because I'll have my most valued Apple possessions with me, I would also like to not offend any locals when I wander around or rock up to restaurants looking like the country hick that sadly, I am.

So to cut to the chase, I need to know what type of hat I should pick up and wear while I'm there (and take home and set a new trend in my home town, or get beaten up, whichever comes first).

To give you an idea, the other clothes I plan on wearing are either black wash like jeans or tan coloured khaki trousers, and some kind of button down long sleeve polo, or tshirt with LS shirt over the top. Fairly basic casual wear I believe.

Do I even need to wear a hat? Well, I expect to be outdoors a lot of the time and I'm a bit thin on top, so apart from the fashion side, it would also be sun smart, so it feels like I should.

Any opinions on hats would be great.

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on hats?

If I told you that no one really cares, would you think I'm being blunt and offensive?

Really though. No one cares.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on hats?

Yep really, no one cares.

Wear what you want. Wearing a baseball cap won't make you look anymore like a tourist and won't make you anymore likely to get mugged. People wear baseball caps all over the world!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on hats?

I don't know....I commute every day wiith lots of folks wearing baseball hats. Never knew there were so many tourists on the LIRR. Contrary to what some may think, there are no fashion police in NYC and I dont know where you got the idea that a baseball hat denotes you as a tourist but trust me, there are lots of other ways we can tell.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on hats?

I am confused. Hat's get you mugged? Huh? Here are some favorite NY hat choices - feel free to adopt one and make it your own.

1. Baseball Cap - Lots of NYers, including me, wear one. Of course, if you wear a Red Sox hat to a Yankee game, maybe someone would spill a beer on you. But other than that, lots of folks wear them.

2. Small brimmed hipster hats. Every hipster needs a hat. Get em at Goorin Bros. in Park Slope. http://www.goorin.com/hat-shops/park-slope

3. The streimel is my favorite outlandish Brooklyn Hat. Worn by Hasidic Jews on holidays , they are large, round and furry. You can land a copter on some of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtreimel

4. Helmet. All those bikers and construction workers place safety over fashion. If you are so concerned about muggings, this may be your headgear of choice.

brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on hats?

Great, thats actually a relief.

I think I was taking the tourist vs local thread to heart too much.

Also, some other post, where locals were complaining about tourists walking into restaurants undermining the trouble they had taken to dress nice.

But if noone cares, neither do I - baseball cap it is, and luckily I already have one that has NY on it :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on hats?

Nobacktracking - The locals vs. tourists thread was a joke. At least that was how it was intended when I started it. Nothing more than a lighthearted Friday romp for our amusement.

Seriously - go for the streimel.

brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on hats?

Thanks. I love the striemel. Not sure its "me" though.

Goorin bros looks like a great place. I'm sure I'll get myself sorted there. And I wanted to go to Park Slope anyway, so it works well.

brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on hats?

Hey, while on the topic of hats, is it expected that you remove hats when you go indoors say to a bar, a show or a restaurant?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on hats?

Yes - it is always more respectful to remove your hat. But folks do keep them on in bars. Not some much in restaurants. They are also removed in movies and shows as it makes it easier for people sitting behind to see.

Welcome to the Slope - it's my home turf. You are gonna love Fifth Ave.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on hats?

Yes, remove your hat when going to a restaurant or show. That's not specific to NYC though, you should do that no matter where you are. When I was a young girl I had a baseball cap I loved to death. I have many memories of my grandmother telling me off for being rude by wanting to keep it on while eating!

Obviously there are exceptions such as if eating outdoors in the sun, at more casual bars, at a sporting event etc but generally I would say to take your hat off when indoors.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 13:20