We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast itinerary

Hello,

We are hoping to go to the US in 2 months. We can't book yet as it depends on some other factors but I will know for sure in about 2 weeks or so (~70% chance I think). Below is the itinerary I've come up with, if it does go ahead. It seems good but I'm not sure if they're very similar? I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. We wanted to include a cruise but it seems our budget won't stretch quite that far. Do you think the days are well distributed?

Dec 7 to 13 - Miami

Dec 13 to 16 - Orlando

Dec 16 to 20 - Chicago

Dec 20 to 24 - Philadelphia

Dec 24 to 28 - Boston/Rhode Is (day trip - maybe overnight stay)

Dec 28 to Jan 5 -NYC

Jan 5 to 10 - Toronto

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast itinerary

I hope you are flying alot, Orlando to Chicago is about 1200 Miles and Chicago is COLD VERY Cold and Windy in the winter (and not on the East Coast eiter)

Go to Washington DC instead from Orlando, Chicago is a cool city, just not in December

Toronto is even COLDER than Chicago, You will totally freeze your *** off there in January

New York City
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast itinerary

And do it in this order

Washington DC, Philadelphia, NYC , Boston and if you must go to Toronto, go there from Boston. I hope you are flying becase it about a 12 hour drive from NY or Boston to Toronto. And if you are driving you will be going through the snow belt of update NY where 20 inches of snow is considered a "dusting"

Boston is NORTH of NYC and Philadelphia is SOUTH of NYC

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast itinerary

Yes, we will be flying the longer distances and using Amtrak for the closer ones. My husband's family lives in Toronto so that's the only reason we'll be going there. I am a bit worried about the weather but not sure what to do as our flexibility is limited. We already visited DC last year so I would prefer somewhere new.

If we're going for more than two weeks total (which I prefer to do due to the expense and distance involved in getting to the US to begin with), we need to go during the Christmas/NY break as it is the only time that matches with my husband's uni schedule. Should I remove Chicago from the itinerary, even though we likely won't be back for a while?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast itinerary

Bump :)

New York City
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast itinerary

Instead of DC, Why not do Williamsburg, VA , Baltimore MD or Gettysburg PA / Hershey PA.

They are all near the DC area and then you can drive to Philly (I assume you are driving up the east coast)

There is nothing really in Rhode Island except Newport RI Mansions . May not be that exciting for an Aussie

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast itinerary

I would eliminate Chicago completely. You have enough cities on your list, and Chicago doesn't compare to any of them in terms of sightseeing or history (and I lived there for 8 years).

If you take those days and rearrange your Florida stay, I see no reason why you can't do a cruise out of Miami. If you are happy with an inside cabin, cruising can be quite economical since your accommodations and meals are included for one price, you would pay extra for sightseeing in any ports but that expense can be quite varied, it doesn't cost anything to sit on a beach or stroll about a town.

The theme parks in Orlando can really add up quickly, but the longer your ticket the cheaper it becomes per day. If you are not interested in the theme parks not sure why you are going to Orlando.

If you're going to overnight one night in Rhode Island, I'd do it in Newport, but not sure if that's accessible by train.

Will you be renting a car at all?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast itinerary

Thanks for the suggestions. Are those places accessible without a car? We are planning on using Amtrak for most of the stops that are within a few hours of each other. I barely drive at home so not sure about driving in a foreign city

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast itinerary

Warmwinds, my husband would like to visit the Kennedy Space Center. There will also be a rocket launch while we're there. We are not going to theme parks

New York City
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Coast itinerary

There is little public transportation in Florida, especially if you want to go to the Kennedy Space center. You need to drive there. You only need 1 day there and if you are not going to theme parks You only need a couple of days in Orlando. I have no idea why anyone would want to go to Orlando if they didnt go to Theme Parks.

You will need to drive from Miami to Orlando.

The only real area of the US that can easily be navigated by train is the washington DC, Philly, NYC and Boston area and those cities have decent public transport in city

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Coast itinerary

I wouldn't put all my eggs on seeing the launch - they are often delayed. I've not been to the KSC but I've heard it's interesting in its own right. What day is the launch scheduled for? You could still do a very short 3-4 day cruise just to get a taste of cruising, those are known as real party ships - just 3-4 days of drinking, not my cup of tea but if you're young and into that it could be a lot of fun.

I just want to stress one more thing about Chicago in winter...it's not the same as East Coast winters, which can range from the 20s to 40's F. Chicago can and does have periods of deep frigid weather - I'm talking 10-20 BELOW zero F with wind chills of 60-80 BELOW zero F. You are advised to not even go outside during those times. At the very best Chicago in winter is simply ordinarily miserable.