We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

Oromocto, NB
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

I will be in NY for two nights with a tour group. We have a chance to go to a Broadway show one night. We were looking to go to a musical....should we choose Momma Mia or Jersey Boys. The reviews I read were not the greatest on either show. Looking for some advice from anyone who may have already seen both shows.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

Who is going? Where did you read reviews that were not great on both? There's a reason these shows have been playing for years. People love them!

Boston
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

Both shows are excellent but I prefer Jersey Boys maybe because of my age and music preference. I don’t think you will be disappointed in either show. Jersey Boys has been a huge hit also in Las Vegas over the past years.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,899 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

I like the music from both, and I thought the Jersey Boys (true) storyline was better. Mamma Mia was a stupid story just created to string the songs together.

MM is fluffier and JB is grittier.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,007 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

Both great. I was not pre-disposed to the music of Jersey Boys but it was so well done that I really enjoyed it.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

Grittier? Jersey Boys may be based on true story, but grittier it aint.

If there are men in your group, they may prefer Jersey Boys more since the story line is about 4 guys. The females are tangential in this musical. Mammia Mia is estrogen strong.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,826 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

We didn't like MM at all--but were clearly in the minority.

We liked JB very much--the story had more substance that I expected, and we were in HS & college ion the 60s, so the Four Seasons are definitely from our era.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

I'm apparently one of the few females on the planet who hated Mamma Mia. I hated both the musical and movie, and I grew up loving Abba music. See Jersey Boys, or if you want dancing with your singing, see Newsies.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

Jersey Boys hands down! Can't imagine what reviews you read, but it is a huge hit! I have seen it twice and would not hesitate to go again. You will love it.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,899 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

I'm a female and thought Mama Mia was stupid. But when I said JB was grittier...I meant MM might have had a "who's your Daddy" theme but JB had a lot of F-bombs that some might find offensive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
258 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Momma Mia or Jersey Boys

I enjoyed both plays - Jersey Boys moreso than MM but it might depend on the ages in your group. Rock of Ages is another you may want to consider. The music is from the 80's.