We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Danvers...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Arrived 9 am Saturday 10/6, JFK, decided to take taxi. Fortunately, he knew there was an accident on the highway and took an alternate route. Took an hour, but could’ve been worse.

Arrived San Carlos Hotel and amazingly our room was ready! This was impressive – that they let us in that early!! Gorgeous, clean, large suite!

Quick change and out to Rockefeller Center. Visited St. Patrick’s Cathedral and then on to TOTR. Took us a bit to find entrance to buy tickets and navigate that process. Had a snack while waiting for our time to head up. Views were amazing; so fortunate to get this in, because weather was questionable the remainder of the trip.

Shopped Anthropologie, then up 5th Ave; I did well at Uniglo, DD did well at H&M (or Forever 21). Window shopped Prada, etc. Braved the crowds at FAO Schwartz and Apple – just to say we saw it. Crazy busy!! Window shopped down Madison back to hotel. Great location for our stay!!

Rested and headed back out. Took subway to Borough Hall, Brooklyn and ate at Queen on Court St. I don’t recommend it at all!! Tables literally on top of each other, far too close for this price range, service rushed and meal just not that good! I had gnocchi w/veal and peas – meh, and DD had ravioli which she declared “too mushy,” not pleased at $20. Bill was about $100 inc. tip.

Walked back across Brooklyn Bridge – spectacular, amazing, beautiful! So glad TA members told me to fit this in. Absolute highlight!!

Took subway from City Hall Plaza to Times Square. DD amazed by lights, sights and sounds. Wandered around a bit, then shopped Forever 21 (or H&M). Great deals; although we have these stores at home, the sheer size is worth taking in.

Went to Ellen’s Stardust for snack, milkshake. Entertainers were enjoyable; food just okay but we knew that going in. Taxi home.

Unfortunately, this is where we encountered one of the drawbacks of the hotel – there is no soundproofing. Room next door let their toddler yell, scream, jump around until we knocked on wall at 11:30 pm. Then the honking started at 5:30 am (on a Sunday) and we were on the 12th floor and on a side street. We even heard the neighbors on the other side showering! Didn’t ruin our vacation at all, but people should know b/c this may be an issue for very light sleepers.

Sunday we awoke and visited the continental breakfast (included) and perfect for a quick am meal. Crowded room, so we took our meal to our room (had a suite for a “sweet” deal)!

Took subway to Macy’s/Herald Square; started raining. Could not believe the line to get in at opening!! Apparently this was for a major shoe sale that just started, so we just had to get a few pairs of shoes. Again, although we have Macy’s at home, the size of the store was impressive! And service was excellent, btw!

Took subway to Columbus Square since it was raining and did a bit of shopping indoors.

Had prix fixe lunch at Porter House and this was the best meal and best value of the trip!! I had made ressie’s ahead of time using Open Table and told them it was my daughter’s bday celebration trip. We had a great table, great service, great meal – Caesar salad, petite filet, and dessert for $24!! Plus, they brought an extra dessert with a candle for DD’s bday. Of course, I had to have an $18 glass of Cab, but can’t have steak w/o red wine – yum. Brought home leftovers, inc. mac and chz side, which we enjoyed while watching Pat’s game in our hotel room.

Missed the Columbus Day parade, but not the crowds. Walked back to hotel along Park, taking in the unique sculptures, avoiding taxi and subway traffic.

Headed out around 5:30 for theatre. Planned to take subway, but had to grab cab halfway through b/c of service issues. Saw Mary Poppins, which I loved, for sheer artistry. DD liked, but Wicked probably would’ve been better choice.

Walked to Vynl in rain, which was much further than anticipated. Ordered meatball sliders to start and DD began not feeling well. Just had those, which were good, albeit just two seemed pricey for what we got, then had to get cab home. Loved theme/vibe and recommend highly if taking teens.

Monday awoke and DD thankfully feeling better. Checked out and stored bags. Took subway to Soho, shopped Broadway then walked up Mulberry to MacBar for lunch. Highlight of DD’s trip, I think. Literally, seating for like 9 and about 95 degrees, but 4 chz mac was delish and I got the duck confit mac which was ok to good.

Cab to 911 Memorial. Waited about 30 min. Overwhelming experience, to say the least. Visitor center worth taking in; museum with artifacts/tridents will be so moving when it opens. Survival tree – simply stunning! Words cannot describe seeing the reflection of airplanes in the side of the new WTC. Wish I had a good camera and the talent to take a photo of that!

Shopped C21, just to say we did it. Got a few things, then cab to Chelsea Market. I expected a bit more, don’t know why; reminded me a bit of Quincy Market in Boston on a smaller scale. History/architecture nice to take in. Wanted to go to Buddakan for early dinner, but they weren’t open til 5:30.

Went to La Bottega at Maritime Hotel which was nearby. Shared pizza and pasta which were really good and reasonably priced! Ambiance very nice and service excellent, too.

Subway to hotel and unfortunately witnessed some ugliness. Got off early and had to jog to get back to hotel for car service to JFK. Glad we took a car back – inc. tip was actually less than taxi and more comfortable.

Fit a lot of things in, lots of shopping to DD’s liking, in a short amount of time. Disappointed in how we navigated the city - made a few mistakes w/subway and we were frequently confused when coming out of a station and trying to figure out which direction we needed to head in. Just suggesting others keep that in mind when planning on using public transportation (and we're from Boston area, so not unfamiliar with transit systems).

Looking forward to another trip back someday with my other kids!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Subway to hotel and unfortunately witnessed some ugliness

-------------

I hope nothing really bad happened!

Getting off the subway and getting turned around happen more often than you think, so don't be so hard on yourself.

Glad to hear you and your daughter had a good time. Thanks for sharing!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

I read your report with interest, as I and hubby and teenage daughter will be visiting NYC soon........thanks for taking the time to post, enjoyable read..........

Danvers...
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

The subway incident was just a couple of older guys getting in each other's face - yelling, swearing, threatening to kill the President - looney tunes, but still scarey in this day and age.

Enjoy your trip w/your teenager! There were so many other things I would've preferred to do, but this was for her and she had a lot of fun!

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

It sounds like you made some wonderful memories in New York City! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
830 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing. Too bad about the paper thin walls in the hotel. At least it did not wreck your trip.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Taking my daughter Thanksgiving week for her sweet sixteen. I can't wait. She is all about the shopping to. She is so excited for the Converse store and Forever 21 in Times Square :)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report. I took my 17 yr old daughter back in April. A surprise trip for her birthday. We had a blast. We did Ellens Stardust for breakfast our first morning there...we both loved it. (she is really into theatre) We saw Wicked too. Highly recommend it. Hope you get to go back. I can't wait for my next trip.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

Always enjoy mother daughter trip reports!! started when my daughter was 16....now an annual mother-daughter trip to NYC. In December our trip will be to celebrate her graduation from law school!!!!! The time flies!!!

9. Re: Mother Teen Daughter Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 18:19