We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what kind of bag should i take?

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
what kind of bag should i take?

Hi everyone

I am going to New York in January for 3 days on my first ever sightseeing trip and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what kind of bag I would need to take with me due to me being out of the hotel from the early hours to late on in the evening and the weather conditions ( would I need to pack extra layers etc) any advice is appreciated and welcomed

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

Take whatever kinda of bag you are comfortable carrying normally. I'd be using a messenger style bag usually when I am in the city. A small back-pack works too,or an over the shoulder large(ish) handbag.

If you use a back-pack - just be careful with it on subways etc- ie carry it in front of you rather than on your back, so as to not swipe someone in the face with it! Might sound like obvious advice, but it's amazing how many people wear then on their backs in crowded places!

You don't need to carry a ton of stuff with you, even if you are out for a long day. You don't want to be hauling a heavy bag around!

Edited: 10 October 2012, 13:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

My standard bags:

http://www.vivazapatabags.com/bagsC01.html

highwaybuzz.com/products/category/bag/S09-21…

I like pockets :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

I always go with an across the body shoulder bag in a tough fabric like leather that zips or locks closed when I'm walking about in a big city. Safety-wise it's a bit more secure than other types (not as easy to snatch if the strap is across your body, slice open if the fabric is thicker, or pick-pocket if it's securely closed). Plus it keeps your hands free if you need to carry coats or coffee, take photos or deal with subway machines, etc. Maybe something like these:

http://bit.ly/OnOR8p

riverisland.com/women/bags--purses/cross-bod…

Edited: 10 October 2012, 13:46
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,689 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

A large cross-over is best. Big enough for wallet, map, bottle of water and to stash your gloves when you take them off when you go in museums, shops, etc.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

The only requirements, as long as it is large enough, should be that it is Comfortable & Secure! Enjoy your Trip!

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

Thank you everybody for your advice I managed to order a tough material cross over body bag yesterday from what you guys have told me :-)

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

Longchamp, Le Pliage tote bag is lightweight, water resisitant, has a deep shoulder handle and no fussy outside or inside pockets. The only weight it'll have is from what you'll put in it. It folds up neatly in your suitcase so you can just use it when you're touring and stow it when you don't need it or when you want to carry a smaller purse. They come in any color you could want:

longchamp.com/en/bags-tote-bag-women-255.html

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

Is a bag more of a hindrance when touring around NYC?If one could manage without one would you be better off?I'm thinking too of security lines at the ESB and suchlike......

Bath, United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

There's always the option of buying one of those travel bumbags, I got one for my trip to Barcelona and they're great in terms of security (not so great for carrying water and things though.)

I think quite a few travel shops and places sell good, practical travel bags, and I wouldn't get one that's too big if you have to carry it around all day!

Have a great time :)

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what kind of bag should i take?

a bag isn't a hindrance really Marg. A smallish - medium sized bag is fine, you can carry it around always. Bigger bags, you'd have to check it in at places like museums / galleries etc. But that's not a problem either, and at least it saves you carrying it and a coat around inside those places!