We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2013 Trip to New York

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Feb 2013 Trip to New York

Ah ok so I have had this idea to take my boyfriend on a surprise trip to New York for months and months but I haven't got anything sorted yet!

I'm hoping to be in New York for Valentine's Day maybe the 12th-17th or 12th-18th? I'm just pretty clueless at the moment, ASDA Travel have quoted that flying from Aberdeen- New York plus 6 nights at the Yotel New York at Times Square is going to cost £1312.00, is this a good deal?!?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

It usually helps if you quote prices in USD. The Yotel is nothing fancy, quite a basic hotel with small rooms.

Have you priced the flights separately for your dates? I think the cheapest you'll usually find is about $700 per person.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

Ah oh sorry in USD its around $2000 for the both of us flying from Aberdeen?

Hmm ive tried doing the flights and hotel separately but I can't seem to find anything cheaper? Hotel wise I'm looking for something with a relatively good view, I've stayed in the Paramount Hotel before and that was good, small rooms but still good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

If that's 5 nights plus flights for 2 people for $2,000, then yes, I think that's a good deal. Not sure how the views are at the Yotel, but that's a good deal (about $109 per night for the hotel, before taxes - that's very cheap for Manhattan, even in February) so I wouldn't worry so much about views.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

Ah good, thank you, Ive just been reading about the weather in Feb, is this a good time to go or not weather wise?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

weather-wise , not really

but it is CHEAP

isn't that what matters?

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

What kind of weather should I expect, this is meant to be a nice surprise for Valentines Day haha!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

February could bring anything. Last winter was very mild. Other winters there can be lots of snow. Hey, you're not at work and you're on vacation. How bad can it be?

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

Haha very true!! I'll be in New York, what more could I want! I'm just trying to plan how to get my partner to pack the right clothes without telling him he's off to New York!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

I don't know what ASDA travel is, but just a heads up that there are no nonstop flights I see from Aberdeen and if you're in Inverness, you might as well fly from there for about the same price on KLM through Amsterdam. The nearest nonstop flights I see are from Edinburgh and they're ~$40 more (~25gbp) which is likely less than it would cost you to get there.

Yotel is a newish funky hotel with a futuristic look to it but as kateoz says, their thing is the rooms are really small. Have a look here.

www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/yotel/

If I use dollars, the flights are currently about $680/person from both Inverness or Aberdeen or ~423gbp/person (I use kayak.com) so that's $1360 for 2. That leaves $740 for hotels from your pkg. price (it's actually $2100) or, for 5 nights, that's $148/night including taxes. It's a good deal IF the flights are good ones and it depends imo on how much it will cost you to get to Aberdeen. Feb. is not a bad time to find hotel deals but it may be too early now to find them. I think it's early to book. Since KLM is the airline that services your area to NYC, I'd sign up for emails from them.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feb 2013 Trip to New York

As for weather, while February tends to be cold and damp, I seriously doubt it is any worse than Scotland at that time -- and during the fall and winter months, New York always has more hours of daylight than you have at home. (This is because the UK is so much further north than we are; come the spring and summer, your days are longer than ours...)