We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Bay Ridge

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Bay Ridge

I'm toying with the idea of staying in Bay Ridge at the Best Western Gregory for one night at the start of my Winter Holiday trip next year (mid December), with the aim of having easy access to Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst to see the lights. The hotel rate is better than staying the whole time in Manhattan but I would move to Manhattan for the remainder of my trip.

The Best Western seems to be the only hotel in that area that I can find. It looks like Bay Ridge is a good neighbourhood and very residential with lots of restaurants and cafes so I think it will be a good option.

It also looks like I could take the B61 bus across 86th Street to get to Dyker Heights. This is appealing as well and saves walking.

Would this be a good plan? Anything in Bay Ridge that is interesting to see in the daytime? Or any other hotels near Dyker Heights?

Or should I just bite the bullet and stay in Manhattan and take a bus tour out to Dyker Heights?

Thanks.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

Bay Ridge is safe, but there isnt a whole lot around there. Coney Island is close by, but its dead in the winter

Id stay in Manhattan and take the tour, otherwise you will be riding the Subway to Manhtaan which is about 45 mins each way

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

It would only be for one night. I'd move to a hotel in Manhattan for the remaining nights.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

I think it's a bad idea and more trouble than it's worth. If you don't want to spring for the tour, you can get there by subway if you don't mind a walk. The other idea is getting a private car service to take you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4947916…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

Thanks Whiz, I'm just throwing ideas around at the moment. I'll do some more research.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

Bay Ridge is a very nice neighborhood. It is not bad at all - it is quite nice actually.

It sort of depends on what you're looking to get out of this. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that it is a good idea or a bad idea.

If you want to experience a different New York City neighborhood and enjoy a bit of the non-Times Square / non-touristy New York, it is a great idea.

The hotel is on Fourth Avenue between 83rd and 84th Streets. The busiest street in Bay Ridge is 86th Street and that is a very busy subway station. Fourth and Fifth Avenues are very busy with shops, restaurants and it is quite lively.

If you're looking for world class Manhattan restaurants and the lights of Times Square and you're going to be disappointed to be in New York City but miles away from Times Square, don't do it.

If you'd like to experience a real New York City neighborhood that is clean and safe and where people take a tremendous pride in their neighborhood and where there are lots of little shops, coffee shops and restaurants where only the local people go and where you'll feel very welcome, by all means, I think it is a great idea and more people should do it.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. It is clean, it is safe, it is very accessible and there is plenty around there - I struggle to see the downside unless you were staying there for an extended time with the desire to spend most of your time closer to "the main sites" (if there were such a thing)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

I object that there is "nothing to do"; its just that BR is not a tourist trap.

http://www.brooklynrowhouse.com/bay_ridge

I used to live in Bay Ridge, and I think there are things to do, tho better in summer than winter.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Ridge,_Brooklyn

forgotten-ny.com/2005/…

A "must" is to walk along Shore Road with views of NY Bay, Verrazano Bridge. Owl's Head Park is also good - walk up it's "hill." If you get near Fort Hamilton that's also good. There are also some beautiful old homes and even mansions in the area. Also 69th St Pier is good.

…about.com/od/…Bay-Ridge.htm

brooklynpaper.com/stories/34/21/24_bayridget…

There are good restaurants along 3rd, 4th Ave and 5th Ave. Its an old ethnic neighborhood (used to be Norwegian).

urbanspoon.com/n/…Bay-Ridge-restaurants

http://nymag.com/srch?t=restaurant&N=265+1207&No=0

opentable.com/brooklyn/bay-ridge-restaurants

www.zagat.com/newyork/bay-ridge-restaurants

brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/23/24_alcolucci…

Unfortunately, the famous ice cream parlor, Hinsch's, just closed:

nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/beloved_kly…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

Lots of nice info! Thanks. I'll take it all in and think about it. I have plenty of time to make a decision.

The reason I chose BR is because of the access to the Dyker Heights lights plus I'd like a taste of a residential neighbourhood at Christmas. Then I would move into Manhattan to see the major Christmas sights there. Probably stay near Washington Square Park. The WSH is on my list.

It's all very different to what we have here in December and that is the appeal, to see something different in one of my favorite times of the year.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

I was going to post a comment, but it seems like More FF hit all the high notes of what I was going to write. Bay Ridge is a great neighborhood with lots and lots of great food options . I am in the process of planning a Brooklyn Donut Run for my bike club and one of the stops is at Mikes in Bay Ridge.

But, the question is whether it is worth it for just one night. I would not be a fan of settling in and moving the next night. Were you to stay for several days and explore the area and other Brooklyn neighborhoods I would say "Heck yeah." But just one night seems like a lot of trouble.

BTW - the lights at Dycker Heights are spectacular.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

I said it was more trouble than it was worth thinking about the 1 night stay but this is also a poorly run hotel IMO and not a place to stay unless you have to.. If you want a taste of a residential area in Brooklyn with easier access to Dyker Heights, stay at a b & b like the Lorelei on Argyle Rd. or Bibi's Garden on Westminster Rd. and use a local car service to get to Dyker Heights. Heck, the owners might even drive you there!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d568866-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60827-d579795-…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Bay Ridge

The B&Bs are an option and look really nice! But I still think I prefer the location of the hotel in Bay Ridge and more to see there as well. I know the hotel gets bad and good reviews so if it cleans it's act up by next year it's still an option for me.

I might be able to squeeze two nights in Brooklyn. I'm planning to go to Boston for 4 nights beforehand, I might reduce this to 3 nights and have an extra night in Brooklyn. My plan is still evolving.