We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montauk branch LIRR

Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Montauk branch LIRR

Is this particular line scenic? in other words from a tourist's perspective. - the route map seems to be close to the Great South Bay coastline and I was wondering if there are coastal views along the way. (Starting from Penn station)

Not necessarily all the way to Montauk but even roughly halfway - is there a stop that would be worth considering for a quick walk around and then returning back to NYC.

Why? - I find trains a relaxing way to see a bit of the surrounding environs and would make a contrast to walking around the city for my whole visit.

If this is not the best forum which would you recommend?

Thanks

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

It's not very scenic until you get way out towards Montauk.

The classic commuter train ride for scenic views from NYC is to take the Metro-North Hudson Line as far as Beacon. Sit on the left and you see the Hudson River, the Palisades, Bannerman's Castle, etc. Then have a little stroll around Beacon or Cold Spring and come home.

Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

Thanks for the suggestion - the route certainly hugs the river.

For a M-Fr departure from Grand Central in the morning, is the train likely to be crowded going North? or being a commuter line is it busy going South in the morning and then busy going North in the aftyernoon/early evening?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

The Montauk branch is particularly beautiful only between Amagansett and Montauk (at the very east end of the line). The trip between New York City and Babylon is nothing but suburban sprawl. You get rare glimpses of water between Babylon and the Hamptons. It gets a touch more scenic through the Hamptons but nothing you'd want to send postcards home about. Amagansett to Montauk is quite beautiful but you'll be sick of the train by that point.

The most beautiful stretch of railroad is by far Metro-North's Hudson Line and you can actually continue all the way to Poughkeepsie. You'll find a converted railroad bridge you can stroll across the Hudson River on. It is called Walkway Across the Hudson and it is quite beautiful and an easy stroll from the Poughkeepsie Metro-North station. I highly recommend Walkway Across the Hudson and also the wonderful museum in Beacon called DIA: Beacon. The town of Cold Spring is particularly charming for coffee, lunch, antiquing.

Metro-North's west of Hudson line to Port Jervis is interesting. It crosses a very famous bridge - very pretty up in Orange County.

Metro-North's New Haven line has some nice stretches - particularly if you want to dine along the waterfront in South Norwalk or at one of my favorites, Rowayton Seafood near the Rowayton train station.

Amtrak's Pennsylvanian between New York and Pittsburgh is quite scenic but you'd want to do train in one direction and fly in the other.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

As you said, it's a commuter line - busier southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening. The trains come up to their tracks about 20 minutes before departure, so you can wander onto the train and get exactly the seat you want before all the last-minute people show up.

Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

I think this train ride will be added to the list things I hope to see and do on my visit to NYC in November. Time permitting, the walk over the Hudson will be included.

By the way, is Poughkeepsie prounounced "Powkeepsie" as in "now" or "Poekeepsie" as in Edgar Allen...

Thanks

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

It is pronounced the latter. Pu a gentle Pu like in puck (hockey puck)

Pu - kip - see

I think you'll really enjoy the Walkway Over Hudson

The ride on the Hudson Line is actually quite scenic all the way up to Albany but to continue north of Poughkeepsie, you'd need Amtrak.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

I used to take the Babylon Branch (Mountak Branch) every day. Nothing scenic about it.

Ive taken the Hudson Line all the way up to Albany (Amtrak goes from Pughkeepsie to Albany) and thats the way to go.

Walkway over Hudson is truly spectacular. At the Poughkeepsie Station

You can also get to Hyde park where FDR and a Vanderbilt mansion are

8. Re: Montauk branch LIRR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:17