We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food not to be missed

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Food not to be missed

What food or restaurant is your highlight of New York?

I'll be returning in June 2013 for 5 nights.

The last time I was there was spent rushing around on the tourist trail and lunch and dinner was usually a quick bite from a deli or pub grub before heading off to another sight, show etc. Breakfast was free in the hotel.

Next year I plan on a more relaxed approach and want to enjoy some good food. I'm not looking Michelin stars for a week but would like to hear others' opinions on what foods and restaurants they really enjoyed. Anything from street vendors through to delis and top end restaurants.

We're a couple in our 40s with no

Kids so not really into family style restaurants. We enjoy Italian foods, steaks, bistros and the obligatory desserts and chocolate.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,477 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food not to be missed

Jean George has a very good lunch deal, a bargain for a restaurant if that caliber. Rosemary in the Village is getting a lot if good reviews. Check out nymag.com for food Crtic Adam Platt's lst of New YorK's top restaurants.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,165 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food not to be missed

Wow, where to begin. Your best bet would be to spend some time in the village area, east, west and in between. Here are some ideas from snacks to entire meals in the villages

Zabb Elee - authentic Thai, not for the faint of heart spicy

Luke's lobster - Maine lobster rolls.

Caracas Arepas - more tasty snacks right next to Luke's

Alta - huge array of mediterranean tapas

Da andrea - nice Emilia Romagna cooking

Taim Falafel - perhaps the best Falafel in town

Keste Pizza - Neapolitan

Flatiron/Chelsea area....

Eataly is something you may enjoy. Perhaps the beer garden and/or Le Verdure nice veggie options

Tia Pol - great Spanish tapas

Check the schedules for any ongoing food fairs like the smorsgesbord in Williamsburg or Madison Square eats In flatiron.

As far as high end goes, we absolutely loved Marea and Scarpetta this year. One of our favorites is Taboon on 10th, middle eastern. Great bread appetizers and one of my favorite desserts in the city, the Silan.

I was recently asked what I want for christmas and my reply was the 10 course tasting menu at Jungsik. It's modern Korean and fairly easy to make resvs compared to other places like Atera and Blanca but generating enough buzz.

Anyway, enjoy and keep us posted.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food not to be missed

There is a restaurant upstairs at south street seaport, I can't remember the name uno springs to mind but not sure if that's right. They do regular food like chicken strips or pizza etc but they do a dessert that is a cross between a cookie and brownie and is served hot with vanilla ice cream on top. It is gorgeous!! So good we went back for it a 2nd time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food not to be missed

If you eat Asian fusion, go to the weekday prix fixe lunch at Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental hotel. Nice view from the 35 floor, good food, great ambiance.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/asiate/

Somewhat simpler food at Robert in the Museum of Art & Design at the top of the building. Great view of Central Park.

menupages.com/restaurants/robert-restaurant/

Try weekend brunch at Park Avenue Spring (name changes by season)

menupages.com/restaurants/park-avenue-spring/

Here's. a list of the top steakhouses

zagat.com/buzz/the-8-best-steakhouses-in-new…

But I find them outrageously expensive unless you're a beef connoisseur. I like the bar steak at Balthazar and I think e pre theater dinner at Capital Grille n the Time Life building for $39 with 2 diffent steak options (plus other things) is excellent value for money.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food not to be missed

Katz's Delicatessen for amazing pastrami sandwiches!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food not to be missed

Go to joes shanghai in china town, get the soup dumplings. good for lunch.

Abc kitchen for dinner, make a reservation.

You need to get great pizza while you're in nyc. I really dont like lombardi's i think there's too much dough for a thin crust.

Get the yelp app for your phone, that way you will know wheres the best places in the area you are in!

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food not to be missed

Thanks for all your replies, certainly lots of food for thought- no pun intended.

And Sasha as a Manv Food fan Katz is on the shortlist.

Belfast
Level Contributor
506 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food not to be missed

Just made the big mistake of looking at the Eataly website during my lunch break and now I'm salivating. I will definitely be paying it a visit and bringing a hearty appetite.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food not to be missed

If budget isn't an issue and you like seafood, I never leave the city without a visit to Le Bernardin. In fact whenever we go we have two special dinners, one in a place where we haven't been before, and another one is almost always at Le Bernardin.

It comes at a price though (almost any other haute cuisine place, that is).

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food not to be missed

RE: Katz's Deli -- When you walk in (providing there isn't a line) you will be handed a ticket. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LOSE IT!!!! Every time you order something, they mark it on your ticket. I usually get a pastrami on rye with mustard, and a Dr. Brown's soda. Each thing gets marked on your ticket and you seat yourself. When you're done, you go to the register and pay. Easy Breezy!

If that's too confusing for you, you can be seated and have a waiter in the full service section at no additional cost. The table where the famous scene from "When Harry Met Sally" is marked with a sign hanging above it. Always a great photo op for visitors! Oh....and don't forget to tip your waiter!!!