We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

Level Contributor
5 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

I am taking my daughter to NYC for her 13th birthday. Neither of us has been there and we will be arriving late at Newark - 9:30pm - and don't want to mess with public transportation at that time. We are staying at the Flatotel. What is the safest and easiest way for us to get there?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

Hire a car service before you arrive, like Dial 7 or take a cab.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

I would prefer a car service like dial7, all state or Carmel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,619 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

Dial7.com

Allstatelimo.com

You book online and they ask you to phone when you're ready to leave the airport and tell you where to meet the driver. There will be tolls on top of the quoted fares of over $10 and you should tip the driver 15-20% of the base fare so total will be ~$70-75.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

Although you should note that 9:30 is not "late", and I would consider taking the train both safer (yes, safer) and easier than taking a taxi or a car service.

Also note that when you are in NYC, you should not have any hesitation about taking the subway at night. The subway is always safer than the street, and what little crime that we have on the subway goes DOWN after 8pm, because most crimes on the subway are grand larcenies involving high school students snatching things (such as i-phones) from other riders, and in particular from other high-school students (a definition: according to NY state law, taking anything whatsoever from the person of another -- even if ii is worthless garbage -- is the crime of grand larceny.). Statistically, you are more likely to be struck by lightning during a year in Florida than you are to be the victim of a robbery during a ride on the NYC subway.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

It will be nice to be able to ask a driver to load and unload your luggage. It sure beats schlepping luggage up and down subway stairs after a long flight! After that, though, plan on using public transportation. It's fast, cheap, efficient and safe.

Level Contributor
5 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

Thank you! We plan to use the subway during our stay but felt uncomfortable with a child and luggage in the dark in a new city.

Any suggestions on seeing the holiday windows? Tour or walk it ourselves?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

Stroll down 5th Avenue and through Rockefeller Plaza on your own. Walking about is the best way to see the city.

Mentioned in this post
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,572 Reviews
New York City, NY
8. Re: Traveling to NYC in Dec with my daughter at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 10:18