We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

Watertown, New York
10 posts
Save Topic
Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

I'll be in NYC next month and would like to check out some bars on Staten Island. I'd like any suggestions on great bars to go to or good areas on SI for barhopping.

If you're wondering why on earth I would want to go to Staten Island to go barhopping, it's because I never have. So please don't try to tell me how much better off I'd be in Manhattan or Brooklyn. It's one area of the city I've never explored and I want to check it out. Thanks.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

Awesome! My favorite storys is about some French tourists hitting all the dive bars along the train route. They had a blast.

A coouple of suggestions: You can do what they did and go to bars along the train : Lee's Tavern (excellent bar pies too) in Dongan Hills, Corner House in Grant City, McGinns' in Great Kills and anothe Irish pub in Eltingville, I forget the name right now.

Or, go to Adobe Blues (about 10 minutes on the S44 bus) right off the ferry. They have one of the biggest beer selections in NYC, then head down to Leidy's for one of the oldest bars in SI. Next go back to St. George and you can go to Steiny's on Hyatt St, then go down to Bay Street and maybe 120 Bay Cafe.

If you can get there, The Full Cup is Stapleton can be a good spot. They have a monthly craft beer night.

You can google all these spots and most have live entertainment too. Mostly local bands, I can tell you which ones are decent.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

MPJag, good for you; Staten Island is too often overlooked -- and luckily for all of us, we have Georgia here ready and able to asnwer a question that would have stumped just about every Manhattan and Brooklyn expert!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

Oh, and by the way, there is nothing fancy about the places I listed. If you want more upscale places, I can recommend those too.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

I live here for 13 years and have never visited a bar. But when the time will come its good to know where to go or who to ask ;)

From the food perspective, Lee's Tavern's pizza is somewhat legendary.

And then there is the Bavarian fare at Killmeyer's and it's huge beer selection and polka dancing. If yo are lucky you may even catch our own BrooklynMel performing.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

Oh, right! I was at Killmeyers last Sat. and the Oom-pah band was in full swing.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

I was at Killmeyers two weeks ago with my bike club. Loved sitting in the garden, eating delicious goulash and imbibing on Spaten Dark. Beats the heck out of me how you would get there by public transportation, but if you have a car it is right on Arthur Kill Road off of Sharrots near Rossville.

Liedy's Shore Inn is nearer to the Ferry along Richmond Terrace. Not drunk there yet, but I am definitely gonna drop in one day. Here is what the Bowery Boys Blogspot had on them both:

You don't get more rustic than Staten Island's entrant, Liedy's Shore Inn (748 Richmond Terrace), first opened in 1905 by German immigrant Jacob Liedy. Liedy's was popular with the sailors --affectionately called the 'Snugs' as Sailors Snug Harbor is close by -- and kept alive during Prohibition by bootleggers who came over from Bayonne, NJ, in rowboats. Since then, the inn has stayed in the Liedy family.

A liquor license snafu almost closed the place for good a couple years ago; apparently current owner Larry Liedy kept the liquor license in his dead mother's name.

It's quite possible that Killmeyer's Old Bavaria Inn (4254 Arthur Kill Rd) in Charleston, SI, is older than Liedy's. Their site confirms that the building is older, though its unclear as to when they might have become an operating tavern. Best to grab a drink at both then!"

Watertown, New York
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

Excellent-sounding suggestions, all! And they are what I'm looking for, not upscale, just places to hang out with locals. Thank you!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

One more thing.. the the train is free after Tompkinsville if you choose to go the train route. Also, there is no sign at Lee's. I'd still try to get to Adobe Blue's and Liedy's.

9. Re: Best Staten Island bars / areas for barcrawling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2013, 10:17