We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

Danville
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

I am looking for a clean/non-smoking hotel that my family of five (two parents, three teens) can stay in for 6 nights in June. Am I naive to think I can find a hotel in Manhattan for $200 or less/night? I have AAA and my husband and I should qualify for government rates because we work for the public schools (principal/teacher). I've looked, called and emailed and cannot find anything for under $400/night. I've signed up for Travelzoo, but I am guessing those specials won't come out until closer to June? I am a planner so I hate to wait to the last minute. I don't care where we stay, because I plan on using public transportation; we would need to be close to a station. Times Square, Chelsea, Financial District, as long as it's clean we are not picky. This is most likely the trip of a lifetime, so I want to get it right. Thanks so much for any suggestions you can offer!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

June is a very pricey time in NYC. Room for four are expensive, rooms for five even more so. In some hotels teens are classed as adults too and many will not accept five. I know as I am the lucky mom of three teens.

Sign up for alerts from the Affinia hotel chain, they often have specials. They have studio rooms that will sleep five, look out for queen beds as they will be better for sharing.

There is also a legal website www.apartments2book.com, they are a consolidator type website for apartment hotels in NYC. If you contact them they can tell you what they can offer.

It is still pretty early to be booking for June, but what I often do is book refundable rates on places that could work, then cancel them as better things show up. I think the Travel Inn has rooms with two queens and a sofa bed, certainly no frills, but the location is good and it is a budget minded hotel.

Also look on Quickbook, they often have great rates and early sales.

Long Island City is a good budget location, the Country inn and suites is notable, they allow five in their king suites, sofa bed included, not sure whether the fifth gets a rollaway or if they are supposed to share the king! But breakfast and wifi are included and it's one block to the subway.

An unlimited subway pass is $29 per person for seven days, a great deal for your six day visit.

Another solution is to cut back to five nights to boost your nightly budget. I usually go for four nights and manage to do a ton of stuff with the kids. An extra fifty dollars a night can really make a difference.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 00:21
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

If you DO increase your hotel budget (which many people have to do in NYC to be in Midtown Manhattan) I would suggest Affinina Shelburne (a 4* family style hotel close to the Grand Central & the United Nations)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93543-R…

Another option is- You could call best western and see if they will make you a deal on the "Best Western Convention Center Hotel" (all other BWs actually IN midtown Manhattan are more pricey).

I would really consider the Shelburne if you can swing it - as said you can pinch pennies on other things but the hotel really can make the trip and change the whole tone.

Here are some tips on sites -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

and food-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

Whatever you decide to do- Remeber to Have Fun!

Edited: 16 October 2012, 01:49
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

Have you considered the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City? It's next door to the PATH train that runs to NYC (10-15 mins to 33rd St.) and can accommodate 5 people. We are also travelling with 5 and could not find anything in NYC for less than $500/nt.

Florida
Level Contributor
644 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

Look at One UN New York (rebadged from the Millenium UN Plaza). They are showing rooms for $239-286 for June, 2013. We've stayed at this East side hotel several times over the years and have always enjoyed our stay. It is right across the street from the United Nations building on 44th Street. The rooms start on the 28th floor, so you get wonderful views.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

Look at Long Island City hotels when it gets closer to your visit. You'll still need two rooms. June, in Manhattan, can be prohibitively expensive.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

I changed our planned trip to the first week in July. The rates were much less then anytime in June or later in July.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

Very good move. You can also get the bonus of seeing the fireworks on the 4th if you're here. It's still not easy to find a good room for 5 in Manhattan. Have you picked a hotel?

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

We have just booked the TRYP Hotel Times Square South for our trip in the next couple of weeks. We are a family of five, they did have family rooms for up to six people. Prices were reasonable, rooms look fab and the reviews are brilliant! Good luck with your search, booking for large families is a nightmare!

Danville
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

Thanks everyone for your input. I am checking out each of these leads. I DO NOT like the heat and humidity, (even though I should be used to it coming from Illinois), so I would prefer to go to NY in earlier June. I checked ONE UN NY and the prices I found were $400...how did you find the lower price? The TRYP looks nice as well, but again, the prices were into the $400 range.

I've signed up for the hotels' emails, so maybe they'll send me an offer! :)

Danville
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for a family of five on a budget

I found the good rate at the One UN, however I am confused. I stated we would have 2 adults and 3 children (teens count, right?) and the options were a KING bed?? A second option included "beds will be determined at check-in"...so I'm not sure what that means. Great deals though, especially with my AAA card.